Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

ABS warning light intermittent only.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 06:15 PM
RieskeKR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS warning light intermittent only.

I have a 1998 RAM 2500, Cummins with automatic transmission and all wheel ABS system. The ABS and brake light both come on at random times. It will go through pre-start computer check OK and post-start computer check without any lights.

The computer set a code 65 - Internal Power Relay Open.

I have taken the ABS controller off and opened it up. I have resoldered many of the larger size connections on the printed circuit board. This is not make any difference. The smaller chip connections appear to delicate to attempt to resolder. If anyone attempts to open the controller please heed this one warning. The black pump connector is soldered to the printed circuit board on the controller base. Therefore, slice the adhesive around the pump connector with a razor knife and slice the adhesive between the cover and base. Press the pump connector IN as the two parts are pried apart. The adhesive is very strong and a considerable amount of prying and pressure is required to open the unit. Reseal with silicone adhesive. I have done this procedure twice with making a fix and without destroying the unit.

I have replaced the rear differential ABS speed sensor. That had no effect. I hesitate replacing the ABS controller because of the cost and fear that the problem will not be fixed. I don't trust the Dodge dealer to make a fix either.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Are there any sources for an ABS controller that is rebuilt for a reasonable price?

Any suggestions on the repair required for the Code 65 - Internal Power Relay Open?

Kent

Quick Reply: ABS warning light intermittent only.