Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

ECM question

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 11:33 AM
irishdncer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM question

I am new to this forum but hope that people can help me with my problem. I drive a 2004 Dodge 2500 Cummins 5.9 L diesel (automatic). When I drive my truck my gage light comes on. The volts on my battery go down to 8. I changed out batteries on Saturday thinking maybe that is the problem. Both batteries were cracked and leaking so thought it would be best to replace both to them. I drove my truck and it still did the same thing with the gage light. Went back to AutoZone and they checked everything and regulator failed. We replaced the alternator and then drove truck again and the light came back on. Took truck back to Autozone and they said it is prolly the ECM. I contacted my local Dodge Dealership and they quoted me $2,000 for the part itself!!! I have done some online searching and have found refurbished ECMs that I can get $500 to $800. I found a place called Auto Module Source? Are they trustworthy? They say they program the part for you and send you part and you should be able to plug it in and it should work. What are y'alls thoughts and has anyone ever replaced their own ECM with a ECM part from online? I just don' thave $2,000 laying around My truck starts up fine and does drive fine. I just really don't want to be stuck on the side of the road! My bf had checked wires, cables, etc and he said they looked fine. Any advice appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by irishdncer; 11-07-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:00 PM
irishdncer

Any help would be really appreciated! I feel like any ecms I try to look at online maybe be potential scams. Can anyone reccomend a good place to get a refurbished one?

Old 11-08-2012, 07:46 PM
sok eyed sam

has autozone ran a OBD scan for a trouble code(check engine light)

I have replaced ecm from a online site and am pleased...........94 ram 2500 4x4 h/d manual 5 speed

Old 11-09-2012, 08:52 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey irish, you should do some research on bypassing the ECM and wiring in a stand alone voltage regulator like you would find in an 80's Ram. I'm not sure if it would cure your problem and get rid of annoying idiot lights, but it would get your truck charging.

Quick Reply: ECM question