Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Advice on buying used CTD

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 12:19 AM
tincan57
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Amen...

Old 10-10-2014, 04:40 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I'm not waving a Pro DEF flag here, I'm just saying of all the emissions "systems" the government is forcing us to endure, the DEF system is the least invasive on the engine.

And no offense to your uncle, but he's got nobody to blame but himself. Rams have a DEF gauge AND start beeping at you like crazy and giving warning alerts when you have 250 miles of DEF in the tank before limp mode. Also, I know it's a big state, but there are 17 Pilot/Flying J stations in PA that offer DEF at every diesel lane pump.

Yeah, I think it's ASININE that the truck is forced into limp mode for just about ANY emissions related CEL, but with this one you at least get plenty of warning...

For anyone who has to use the stuff here are a couple of good sites for locating it, especially at the pumps:

http://www.discoverdef.com/

http://www.pilotflyingj.com/def-at-the-pump

Last edited by HammerZ71; 10-10-2014 at 04:45 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:18 PM
charger_dude

In a similar boat, read thru this thread but unless I missed it I don't recall seeing any big gotcha's listed that I should be looking for. This would be my first diesel, and am looking for something I'll have for a long time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by charger_dude; 10-13-2014 at 06:21 PM. Reason: removed busted links
Old 10-13-2014, 06:27 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

Charger dude, are you asking about advice in general on diesels or tyke dealership mentioned in Houston?

Old 10-13-2014, 06:30 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Don't get me wrong, I'm not waving a Pro DEF flag here, I'm just saying of all the emissions "systems" the government is forcing us to endure, the DEF system is the least invasive on the engine.

And no offense to your uncle, but he's got nobody to blame but himself. Rams have a DEF gauge AND start beeping at you like crazy and giving warning alerts when you have 250 miles of DEF in the tank before limp mode. Also, I know it's a big state, but there are 17 Pilot/Flying J stations in PA that offer DEF at every diesel lane pump.

Yeah, I think it's ASININE that the truck is forced into limp mode for just about ANY emissions related CEL, but with this one you at least get plenty of warning...

For anyone who has to use the stuff here are a couple of good sites for locating it, especially at the pumps:

http://www.discoverdef.com/

http://www.pilotflyingj.com/def-at-the-pump
He wasnt in pa he works traveling around the us working on the gas wells so its not easy for him just to make time when he is working 12-16hr days. With anywhere around a 1-2hr commute. Closest place to me that carries def is only 5min away but its a 9-5 place and closest pump despensing unit is almost 50 miles away. Granted you are warned that you are low but when you are busy you tend to forget about it till its too late. I know its his fault but really its just plain bs that we even have to do it. Ill never own a truck that uses def. Im gonna run my second gen into the ground.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:32 PM
charger_dude

Originally Posted by JoshuaAckley
Charger dude, are you asking about advice in general on diesels or tyke dealership mentioned in Houston?

Sorry, should have clarified. Buying advice on the 2500 CTD's in general, anything I should look for. I have a few prospects I'm preparing to go look at here in Nebraska.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:44 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I know where you're coming from, I was a signature on the dotted line away from trading in my '04 1500 on a new '06 QCSB CTD 4X4 in the spring of '06 but decided to build up the Hemi instead. I've kinda always regretted not getting that ultra-reliable 5.9 Cummins, especially after they replaced it with the 6.7 and all it's government mandated emission issues.

I know for a fact one dealer here either Lemon Law'd or outright Chysler Buy Back'd five '07.5 CTD trucks and this is a small volume dealer!

When I finally decided to part with my Hemi, I decided on either a cherry CTD old enough to be deletable, or new with warranty. My '04 was MINT, I'm talking truck show mint and to be honest I couldn't even find an '12 CTD in near the condition of my 10+ year old truck. So I went new - and opted for a 120 month / 120,000 mile warranty...

Old 10-18-2014, 03:11 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Front end...**** show....Non serviceable ball joints, front u joints, rear u joint, Make dam sure the drag link ( held by grease only ie compression fit) is tight on the right side off the wheel hub.

Y style drag links were replaced for a T type, but recalls recalls...

In 2013 2014 Dodge went to a Ford style set up on the HD solid axle, one single front track bar per side, no more coil over shock (front)

Dodge is not Famous in a positive way for HD soild axles...

Quick Reply: Advice on buying used CTD