Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Transmission Slip

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 10:55 PM
cookie_monstr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Transmission Slip

well yeah. so the "not pumping fluid in the tc" applies to all. but how do i know if its a torqueflight type trans? iv slept in my truck when i went to florida and had no probs after bout 5hrs of sleep with the air on.
i let it idle in the mornin for bout 3-5 mins and i have no prob. just want to know before i end up having to buy a new one. "please let it break so i can convince my girl that i need the ats tranny"

Old 02-14-2007, 10:59 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 224 Likes on 209 Posts

mine has never done that... there is a check valve in the lines that is supposed to keep the fluid up in the converter & cooler to prevent the drainback into the pan. Go test drive another new one and see how it acts... I can almost guarantee you it wont act the same as your truck. your dealer is trying to dodge the problem.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:36 PM
MrSlug
Veteran

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

your dealer is trying toDODGE the problem.
Nice pun..... DOH!

Old 02-15-2007, 02:32 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: cookie_monstr

well yeah. so the "not pumping fluid in the tc" applies to all. but how do i know if its a torqueflight type trans? iv slept in my truck when i went to florida and had no probs after bout 5hrs of sleep with the air on.
i let it idle in the mornin for bout 3-5 mins and i have no prob. just want to know before i end up having to buy a new one. "please let it break so i can convince my girl that i need the ats tranny"
IIRC Dodge started to make the torque flight trans back in the 1970’s maybe earlier anyway the trans in our truck is a cousin too the torque flight, in fact some of the parts in our 48RE will still interchange with the older trans. IIRC our stock Dodge trans does not and never has pumped fluid in Park, but you can modify the valve body to make it pump in Park.

In my 2006 owner’s manual on page 263 it has a few words about how the tranny will seem sluggish the first few second of operation after going in to gear due to some of the fluid draining out of the converter, its normal and will not hurt the tranny. Also the converter will fill with in 5 second of shifting out of Park in to any gear. IIRC a rebuilder over on the Diesel Ram Forum showed a photo of what happened to one person who left his truck idling in Park for I think it was 8 hours maybe less, maybe more anyway the damaged and broken parts sure did not look pretty and I bet the rebuild bill wasn’t either.

Like I said in on of my post above, mine will do it but I notice it more when it’s cold out side or if it has sat for several days. IMHO this is one more reason I want to switch my trans to Amsoil ATF fluid as it flows much better and holds up better then Mopar ATF does. I just remembered that I read of a person who said his TC would drain the fluid out of it in like 5 hours. It is also possible you have a trans that is not right and needs to be looked at, so if your dealers will not do any thing then I hope you have another one close by you can go to and see what they have to say.

Oh it must be nice to want it to break so you can go spend $5,000.00 to get an AST Tranny.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:28 PM
Rebouche

DBLR, is there any reason to believe that a normal transmission service and fluid change would fix slippage problem at a cold start? Also, would this be a precurser to transmission failure at 200K miles on a 2005 diesel? Thanks! Rich

Old 06-20-2014, 06:54 PM
tincan57
Captain

^^DBLR might answer you, hard to say...................this thread is 7 years old. K.

Last edited by tincan57; 06-20-2014 at 06:55 PM. Reason: ^

Quick Reply: Transmission Slip