Dodge Ram SRT-10 The best claim to fame. the world's fastest production pick up, the Dodge Ram SRT-10. With outstanding Viper inspired styling, power and handling, this sport pick up will blow the doors off anything that gets in it's way.

Loose crank bolt

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 09:53 AM
cali04srt10
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose crank bolt

Hey 94rt10ohio, I appreciate the valuable info you have given me. I am just writing back about the loose crank bolt problem I had posted a month ago, and luckily I was able to run a tap and replace the harmonic balancer and it's fine now. Is there anything else I need to know about this truck? I also realized that my water pump had begun to develope a drip. At first I thought the seal had gone out which was weird for only having 37000 miles but then realized the drip was coming from a small freeze plug on the pump itself. Is there something I can do for that without having to replace the pump? As always your info is appreciated.

Al

Old 09-08-2009, 08:21 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Been MIA lately. I have not heard of this with anyone else (coolant leak).

The crank pulley bolt is really the big thing.

Sure, you can list the weak clutch is the RCs
And the weak (cast) internals

But the bolt is the only one which will work loose without you knowing and cause big issues that can be so easily avoided. As I have told others, just check it at oil change time, part of maintenance.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:04 AM
scarbrs

Just wondering is this only on the 04's. I just got an 06.

Eric

Old 11-04-2009, 07:34 AM
cali04srt10

Hey Scarbs,
well this seems to be the same engine they have been using with all srt 10, so it would be a good idea as the site administrator mentioned to check it now, and at every 3000. If you are not mechanically inclined I would pay someone to do it, trust me this is a lot cheaper than having to buy a new harmonic balancer and possibly having to buy a new engine. Fortunately there was no major damage to my crankshaft but the harmonic balancer was destroyed, not to mention I was stuck on the side of the road in the rain. It just surprised me that dodge knowing of this problem had not put out a recall on this problem.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:31 PM
scarbrs

Ok
I'll have it looked at when the oild cooler lines come in. Just for referance where is the bolt so i can see.

Eric

Quick Reply: Loose crank bolt