Dodge Ram SRT-10 The best claim to fame. the world's fastest production pick up, the Dodge Ram SRT-10. With outstanding Viper inspired styling, power and handling, this sport pick up will blow the doors off anything that gets in it's way.

Volant vs. K&N Intake systems

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 02:42 AM
BigDog97
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volant vs. K&N Intake systems

How do the two compare? Does anyone prefer one to the other?

Old 05-22-2006, 07:47 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Volant vs. K&N Intake systems

From what I have read both are a waste of money. Other forums with SRT10 owners basically say just put in a drop in K&N and your gains will be just as good.

Old 05-22-2006, 10:39 AM
mmmm_torque
Professional

Most gains from these CAI's are in the lower RPMS and not real peak HP gains. If you already have a PCM flash or VEC2 then you will see little to no gain with a CAI.

They do help the overall exhaust note and recommend people to just choose the one they like the looks of. The Volant is a true CAI, much like the stock airbox. The "ram air" portion does increase the potential amount of cool air to the intake but would bet you couldnt tell the difference with it connected or not. My only reservation about the Volant was by it utilizing the hood scoop, you prevent cool air from entering the engine bay while driving and hot air escaping when sitting in traffic. These engines create a tremendous amount of heat and lose power on heat soak. Just something to consider but both systems have plenty of happy customers.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:05 PM
NC Bob

I spoke with the Volant people and told them that I did not want to use the scoop for more air intake. They indiacted that you can get plenty of air from the other two openings in the front of the intake (thru the grill) and from the wheel well. I closed the scoop intake off to let the hood blow air across the engine as it was originally designed. Probably defeated the purpose of the Volant, but it looks good and sounds great at WOT.

Old 05-23-2006, 10:57 PM
Premier Truck
Banned

The Volant is a great kit and provides 3 inlets of True Cold Air. If you choose not to use the scoop, then you still have a large sealed box with 2 true inlets for cold air.

K&N makes a nice kit, but they place the filter very close to the passenger manifold. As far as I can see, the K&N is going to bring in more warm air, then cool air.

The SRT-10 makes way to much heat with it's V10 to have a open element filter under the hood.

The True Sealed box is the way to go.

Thanks,
David

P.S - Just because someone dynos a part, and them claims a #, does not mean it is etched in Stone. There are way to many conditions that go into dynoing a product to beleive 1 or 2 dyno reports and or Claims.

We are the largest dealer in the country for these kits and have had very good luck with them and many pleased customers.

Quick Reply: Volant vs. K&N Intake systems