Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

P0505 Code

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 12:53 AM
lanesharon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0505 Code

I changed my IAC, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv, and breather. Still get the infamous 'check engine light' with a P0505 code. If it comes on at startup, it stays on. If it does not come on, it stays off. Last week I went to Sears to have the suspension greased. They took off the idler arm to grease between. Oddly enough, the light stayed off all day, through a number of starting and stoppings. Late that night, I started her up, and it came on again.
If it were a short in the wiring, wouldn't it come on and off, during one driving session? If it were a 'sometimes' malfunctioning part, wouldn't it come on and off, during one driving session? This is driving me bonkers.
A friend of mine, today, told me it could be the fuel injectors. He told me to put some STP fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank.
Can someone give me some advice on this unusual situation?

Old 04-02-2007, 03:36 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Default RE: P0505 Code

Yes it could be the FI but STP won't fix the problem. Gas additives are not concentrated enough to clean a sticking injector, they only remove minor residue coatings. The only way to properly clean one is to pull it out.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:40 AM
lanesharon
Professional

Then I would need to know which one it is and which bank. Is there any trick to this?

Old 04-02-2007, 03:59 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Nope, no trickwith a 0505 code.

BTW, after you changed the IAC did you disconnect the battery for a while? Just clearing the code with a scan tool won't do it, you have to disconnect the battery. The reason you have to disconnect the battery is because the PCM learns both your driving habits and how to idle the vehicle. By disconnecting the battery for a minimum of 10 minutes (although overnight is ideal), all of the information is wiped out and the PCM is free to relearn the correct idle.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:28 AM
lanesharon
Professional

Yup, tried that a couple of times. Disconnected and left it disconnected all day after I changed out everything. Didn't work. I don't have a Chilton's for this vehicle. The closest I have been able to find is the Ram truck, so many things (other than engine) are different. I tried to get one from the Chilton's website, but no go there either. At my library, they have one Chilton's for all trucks from 1993-1999, but nothing for 2000! Batting zero, all the way.

In any event, the manual sections I have for the ram truck only have one test that can be done on the fuel injectors, for ohms measurement on each one. Other than that, a complete inspection of connections, etc., is recommended. I do not have a quality scanner to check out any more detailed codes (just the key trick).

Thanks.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:44 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

There is no Chilton book that covers the 98+ Ram Vans. But Haynes (#30041)has one thatincludes 98-03 models although it is pretty lame because it focuses mainly on pre-1998 models. I ordered the Chilton DVD for my 2000 which was much, much better.
http://www.delmarlearning.com/browse...amp;cat2ID=CHM

Old 04-03-2007, 03:52 PM
lanesharon
Professional

I already ordered a used Haynes manual. I can access Chilton's manuals at my local library. My problem with them is that they do not cover anything specific to my van because it is for all trucks.

This is where I am at:
I went through the van again, looking for any loose fittings, or cracked hoses. Nothing. During that time, I disconnected the battery and let the system reset. I reconnected and started it up about 10 times, no MIL (check engine light). Then I put on some gas and let the engine warm a little, turned it off, back on. Now, I got an MIL.

That means that the check engine light is getting triggered when the PCM is in a closed loop operation. It also means that it is starting to monitor the OS2 sensor input. I am going to disconnect today for several hours again. Then do the whole process all over again. If the MIL triggers only when the car is warmed up again, then I know I am onto something.

I looked through the entire PCM section and realize that the only thing that may be different for me is the oxygen sensors. I am enclosing xls document for PCM open and closed loops (engine cold, engine warm). Although acceleration and deceleration revert to open loop mode and the oxygen sensors are ignored, again. YCHHH. If this proves to be true, it means more money, again.

You can find my work grid here:
http://rare-cancer.org/temp/PCM.xls

Old 04-03-2007, 04:04 PM
lanesharon
Professional

I forgot to say, I have the 2001 and 2003 Dodge Ram Truck service manuals. I am assuming that since the engine is the same, these should help me. I believe that the 2003 is not right for my van. But, the 2001 manual seems to be relatively correct.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:11 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

I already ordered a used Haynes manual. I can access Chilton's manuals at my local library. My problem with them is that they do not cover anything specific to my van because it is for all trucks.
That's why I gave you the link to the Chilton DVD. It is specific to the 1500, 2500, & 3500 98-03 Ram Vans (not Ram Trucks). Right down to the wiring diagrams, troubleshooting, trouble codes, etc.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:17 PM
lanesharon
Professional

If you click on the link you gave me, it does not go to a product just for the van. Click on the 'See More Product Details' and you will see that it covers a myriad of Chrysler vehicles. Chilton does not produce manuals for individular vehicles anymore. They stopped doing that around 1998.

Quick Reply: P0505 Code