Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Wiper Link Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 08:45 AM
timbal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper Link Bushings

My wiper link bushings broke and I'm tring to find out what is the easiest way to have those buschings installed.Is there any spacial tool for the installation? if so what is it called? Where can I get it?
The auto parts does not seem to know of any tools for it. This has become a pain..I removed the grille to exposed the wipe linkarm mechanism under the fire wall and the arm has 4 of those buschings and they all broke!...My concern is about how to snap these little bugers in place without damaging the actual bushings...The variety pack they sell at the auto parts only has two of the 4 needed. Therefore I have to buy 2 packs and I do not want to damage any on them in the preocess..

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated..

Old 09-27-2018, 08:47 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

11 years later and I have an answer!
If you have young strong hands you could probably force them on with a tight grip. I placed the grommets loosely in the arms and forced them into the arms by pushing them down on the trailer hitch. Popping them onto the studs is the hard part. I was able to finagle 3 of them on by hand but I had to use a pry-bar and a block of wood to force on the last one. You can move the position of the bushings by turning the wipers on and then turning off the key to get them to stop in more "handy" locations. Having a good selection of pliers would be way easier than doing it by hand grip alone. I would recommend changing one bushing at a time so you don't get mixed up as to which direction they face.
My 1991 required 4 bushings (2 packs). Now my wipers parallel park, stay within the confines of the glass, and act like they are connected to the same linkage.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:32 PM
lilredex
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something like CLECO pliers may also work as is or if modified slightly.

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalo...cleoPliers.php

Old 11-29-2018, 07:29 PM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

channel lock pliers work for me--get bushings warm and use a little oil on 'em

Old 11-29-2018, 07:32 PM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

my reply doesnt look like it posted

Quick Reply: Wiper Link Bushings