Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

HELP MY VAN WONT START!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 12:07 PM
mountainclimber11
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP MY VAN WONT START!

Ok all of sudden as I was going in reverse my van just turned off.When I tried to start it,it would just crank.The radio works and the open door buzzer goes off BUT none of the dash panel gauges register.I paid a mobile mechanic to look at it ,he said it is probably the brain(ECM).So i got another one and the same problem still persisted. It cranks and the warning lights come as you start it but like I said none of the gauges are registering at at all batt,fuel,engine,None.But the radio and headlights/ inner lights all work fine. I have a 2000 RamVan 2500 5.2L V8.This is so frustrating Any and All info would be more than appreciated.

Thank You,
Robert

Old 11-13-2007, 09:59 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default RE: HELP MY VAN WONT START!

Did you check ALL of the fuses in the box under the hood?
Did you check ALL of the fuses in the panel next to the drivers door?

If they all check out as good, then replace the ASD relay in the fuse box under the hood. The inside of the cover to the box should tell you which one it is.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:16 PM
mountainclimber11
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Alloro and Thank You so much for the reply with helpful info..Yes I checked all of the fuses in the side panel and I will recheck the ones under the Hood as well. ASD relay..What exactly is that?

Old 11-15-2007, 05:41 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

ASD-Auto Shut Down relay.
It basically controls the fuel pump, ignition, and thePCM which in turn controls your gauges and warning lights on the dash. Although highly likely, it might not be the ASD relay but it's cheap enough and easy to replace. This of course beats spending hours looking for another problem that might not be there.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:46 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Auto-Shut-Down Relay (ASD)

A part called an ASD Relay provides power for the coil and other essential circuits. This relay is activated only for a couple of seconds when the key is first turned on and remains on as long as the PCM receives a crank signal.

Chrysler uses an Auto Shutdown Relay (ASD). The ASD relay routes battery power to the ignition coils, and is energized by the PCM as long as receives signals from both the crankshaft and camshaft position sensors. If the engine stops turning (stalls), the PCM deengerizes the ASD relay and shuts down the ignition system. The ASD relay also supplies battery voltage to the fuel injectors, so when it shuts down it cuts off both ignition and fuel. At the same time, the PCM also deenergizes the fuel pump relay to turn off the fuel pump. For "limp in" capability, the Chrysler system can run with input from the crankshaft position sensor only. The ASD and fuel pump relays are both located in the Power Distribution Center.

The Auto Shutdown Relay (ASD) - actually, this rarely breaks, but when it does, the engine stays off. One purpose of the auto shutdown relay is to avoid "dieselling." It kills all fuel delivery and spark. The ASD can be triggered by a broken wire or short in another place -e.g. the fuel pump.

Quick Reply: HELP MY VAN WONT START!