Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Coolant Leak around water neck / T-stat housing

Old 12-15-2007, 02:49 AM
Black Box
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak around water neck / T-stat housing

Ok I just picked up a 99 2500 cargo for my workers to use with a 5.2 cheep cheep everything was fine we got into it this morning and had a coolant leak now being a ex mechanic I went on a little search under the van and what I can see is coolant up by the T-stat / Water Neck and running down the front of the motor van had heat till coolant went away Pump is building pressure but there is a definite steam his from the water neck area anyone encounter this before? I found the OE neck was stamped steal and the replacement is a cast aluminum one. So it makes me thing of a possible leaking issue? I wanted to see what others have had prior to yanking it open and looking for the leak. Sad thing is its all wet here so hard to tell what’s what. I didn’t see any steam out tail pipe and nothing in oil and no oil in coolant so I am thinking it’s not an Intake or Head gasket. I don’t see the weep hole leaking either.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:44 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default RE: Coolant Leak around water neck / T-stat housing

You first need to clean the area with water. Then use compressed air or a leaf blower to dry the area. After that, run the engine up to temperature, shut it off and look to see where the leak is coming from. A mirror is very helpful to be able to see around everything in the way.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Black Box
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update to this issue.

Waterpump and Gasket "New"
Tstat and Housing "New"
Bypass Hose "New"

If I didnt know any better I would say its comming out of the timing cover housing but there is no Oil In the water and Water in the oil.
Using floresent die it comes out that the "WHOLE" area lights up so nothing is an exact on this one of where it is comming from. Oh ya Block isnt cracked in that area nore is the Intake.
and no signs of it comming from the Intake to head gasket.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:36 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

It can come from the timing cover without getting in the oil. It depends on if the leak is on the inside edge or the outside edge of the coolant passage in the timing cover.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant Leak around water neck / T-stat housing