Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

a car be

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Newfhauler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a car be

Hello,
Has anybody ever towed a car on a dolley behind a V6 full size Ram Van? I have a step bumper and it is rated at 2000 max. I will need to install a type 111 hitch I guess to tow more weight. The car I would like to tow weighs about 3600#. Am I crazy to try and do this?
Thanks any advice will be helpful,
Tracy

Old 02-01-2008, 10:04 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 79 Likes on 73 Posts
Default RE: a car be

By a dolly, do you mean a trailer where the towed vehicle has all four wheels on it, or just the front wheels?

Old 02-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Newfhauler

Hello again,
The car in question would be towed on one of those two wheel types that one rents from U Haul.
Thanks,
Tracy

Old 02-01-2008, 12:39 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Then you shouldn't have any problems. With those type of dollys you can haul a lot more weight than the ones that have all four wheels off the ground. Just remember to allow more time to stop and to pick up a little more speed when approaching a hill.

U-Haul has a nice feature on their website for determining if your setup is acceptable. Just go through the reservation steps and it will ask you about your vehicle plus the one you're towing. It will give you the allowed setups before you commit to the reservation.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:42 PM
Newfhauler

Thanks,
I will give them a try.
Tracy

Old 02-02-2008, 12:51 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've towed with the 2000 B1500 V6 3.9L Magnum a 4,500lbs travel trailer camper. The Ram Van didn't have the flimsy step bumper, but a class-3 hitch. Going up grades or hills was a bear. However, the U-Haul type dolly could prove to be a better option since a trailer has a heavy hitch weight.

If your Ram Van is pre-1996, I would not recommend towing the car.

Now, you did mention the step bummer rating, but not the year of the van. These two items are very critical to determine the ability of the van for towing. Please provide further feedback.

The older 3.9L V6 of the late 1980's isn't much for power.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Newfhauler

Ok,
For all helping me out, I have a 2002 Ram Van, 3.9 V6 automatic and it is the shortie "wagon". I am also having a hard time finding a class three hitch to put on this thing to tow the weight that I need to tow. The trouble spot is that it has a factory step bumper on it and all the hitches that I have found are made for the non-step bumper version. There has got to be some of you out there that have been in this situation, where did you get your hitch from?
Thank You again for your help.
Tracy

Old 02-03-2008, 11:52 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator