Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

alternator recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 06:39 PM
chapin21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator recomendations

Hi, Recently my wife was driving the 95 Dodge Ram B2500 van that has a conversion kit that added a DVD, TV and some lighting. I bought this van used a year ago and it has been running fine except for a fuel pump I had to replace. By the way placing a fuel pump inside the gas tank is the worst location possible. So she heard this terrible squeeling and then the power steering went out. She was able to get the van home, and when i opened it up, the belt was shredded as well as the tensioned pulley. I thought the tensioner pully was shot and it smoked the belt. Replaced the pulley put on a new belt, started it up and got the same squeeling. Noticed that the alternator pulley was not turning and that is what probably caused all my problems. Belt got so hot = melted the tensioner pulley = shredded the belt. So now I am looking to replace the alternator, it appears stock, but can't be certain since I don't have all the history.

My question is what brand/amp alternator should I be looking to purchase to upgrade slightly in order to run the peripherals? Also, any clues, hints, or gotchas I need to be aware of when replacing the alternator?

Thanks, John.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:12 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: alternator recomendations

I'd say to have the alternator tested before replacement.
I replaced my 90 amp with a 130 amp re manufactured autolite with a lifetime warranty.
I never noted any quicker charging times. I have read howmany higher amp alternators actually put out less amperage at Idle speed.

I've replaced this 130 autolite3 times due to either noise or vibration. If you go reman definitely pay for the lifetime warranty. Do pay attention to the little CYA note not to start the vehicle with battery voltage under 12.6 volts. Until the brushes have broken into the armature the alternator can't handle it's ownsupposed rated capacity. At least that ismy theory as to why one of mine failed shortly after installation.

When I first switched to the higher amp alternator I unknowingly blew a fusible link and wasted time and money looking to replace the PCM with it's internal voltage regulator.

I'm one who until recently needed the quickest possible charge times to keep up with my electrical demand. I don't think the step from 90 to 130 amps on my alternator made any difference on my battery recharge times.

I currently have enough Solar to have a power surplus, and my alternator doesn't have to work very hard anymore. Even If I were to run every electrical deviceat the same time, I believe the alternator could easily keep up with the load, And I think If I werestart theVan to recharge the batteries, the 90 amp would put out more amps at Idle speed than the 130.

Quick Reply: alternator recomendations