Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

HOT WIRE 85 B250 VAN

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 10:06 AM
corgimom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOT WIRE 85 B250 VAN

To make a long story short I have an 85 dodge ram conversion van 318 with a loaded column. Last year someone drilled out the ignition on the column trying to steal it. Fortunately I installed a kill switch years ago so they got nowhere. Until recently I started it with a screwdriver but now the screwdriver (any size) just turns in place. The metal has worn away. I looked into replacing the steering column but it would be $300 plus shipping for the part so I want to hot wire it. I have looked in chiltons but I just get lost. I bought a toggle/push button combo from pep boys but I am just lost. I have the covers off the column all wiring exposed but I really need help. Anyone have any idea?

Old 03-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Truck Dude
Veteran
Default RE: HOT WIRE 85 B250 VAN

i would just buy the piece and do it the right way.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:01 AM
corgimom

I did not ask for what you would do. I asked a very specific detailed question. If you can not or will not answer it why bother with your opnion of what is right and wrong?

It would be easier to replace the column but since the closest one is 7 states south of me I can't even verify conditionand shipping is another $80.

As to what is right; anything that works is right. I know it is an outside the box question but when you own a vehicle as old and as specialized as this one outside the box holds a lot more answers than the box.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:11 PM
IGadget
Professional

When you say the screwdriver just rotates....you mean you dont get the spring back from the lock? you shouldnt need to replace the whole colum, you should just need the lock cylindar replaced. you will have to take the steering wheel off and take apart the colum, but it shouldnt need to be replaced.

Look at the sections for troubleshooting the ignition and you should be able to figure out what you need.
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: HOT WIRE 85 B250 VAN