Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Problems lowering my 01 2500

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 02:40 AM
twodewarsx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems lowering my 01 2500

Has anyone used, installed or dealt with Ground Force 2 in. drop coil springs? Part # 1034, the application is supposed to be for 94'-01' HD 3/4 ton or 1 ton 2WD full size dodge rams with an8800 GVWR. I have a 01' dodge ram van, 2WDHD 3/4 ton with a7700 GVWR. I installed these springs and the vanwas slammed completely on the lower bumpstops, about a 4 in drop. So I removed the lower bumpstops and now the van is sitting on the tie-rod and stabilizer bar, about a 7 in drop. Before installation, I measured the original coils and the new coils side-by-side with exact 5/8 in. wire diameter and exact overall outside coil diameter and an exact 2 in. shorter aftermarket coil. This installation was professionally installed with all the original equipment including the rubber isolation pad and shocks. At this point the van is undriveable. If anyone has had a comparable experience or knows something I don't know please let me know
thank you

Old 07-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Problems lowering my 01 2500

Sounds to me like your kit is for Ram pickup applications only. The suspension geometry of your Ram van is probably inconsistent with the kit's design, therefore causing your excessive lowering problem.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at their website and this is what I found
http://www.groundforce.com/vehicle.a...ake=Ram%201500
They do not have anything for the B3500 only the B1500. I agree with Rusty93RamVan that you appear to have the wrong kit for the van.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:14 AM
twodewarsx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,
thank you for your inputs and opinions. I also agree with rusty, and I have also checked out the ground force website as well as quite a few phone calls to their tech line. The website doesn't feature the coils thati purchased because they are now a discontinued item. You guys are right, there seems to be a difference in the front suspension geometry as well as a weight distribution difference from the HD 3/4 ram pickup and the HD 3/4 van. Since I had already installed 2 1/2 in. lowering shackles in the rear i needed a solution. I should have done this in the first place, I simply used a plasma cutter and cut exactly one full coil off the bottom of the coils and shaved about an inch of the lower bumpstop. The coils reseated useing all existing hardware even the shocks.I won't exagerate, I have 4 children, it is my daily driver to and from school, it rides and drives really nice. It's lowered about 2 1/2 in. front and back, but still has a nice raked look, easier to get in and out and has a firm suspension feel. No more bouncy bouncy over speedbumps and intersections. No bumpsteer and no bottoming out.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:48 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just for added safety and support after the van has been lowered, my recomendation would be to add the Road Master Active Suspension Kit to the rear suspension.

http://www.activesuspension.com

Quick Reply: Problems lowering my 01 2500