Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Sputtering, Popping intake, Stall out on sudden throttle advance

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 11:41 AM
deer321
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you ever figure thisout i have a 2003 doing almost the samething. only mine will run great and then all of the sudden start spitting and sputtering no power then will come out of it maybe the next time i start it....wtf I just got mine and it only has 42000 miles on it. sounds like you have been thru everything on yours, my engine light stays on.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:25 AM
aermann

No, I never did, neither could a dealership repair station. They have one in the shop doing the same thing also. I already spent $500 to no avail. Fortunately I wont need it again till April, but I would like to get it running before that for some peace of mind. If you find anything, please let me know. I am almost at the poing of considering buying a Chevy Express, with my fingers crossed & a lot of prayer.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:11 AM
deer321

Well I have never had too much faith in dealerships..lol The engine you have has been around forever, you have changed almost everything on it except the ecm which makes me think that it might be it. I know that using a scan tool will show trouble codes for other things. Once I had a cracked pcv and several codes were up so dealership started hanging parts on it and never did find the cracked pcv I did by accident...lol. Is your van doing this all the time or does it come out of it and run fine then start to act up. I did find that my van was missing a gas cap so could be water in the fuel but wont know till later. I just bought this from a dealer (used) it was full when i took it home so never looked inside fuel door until I read your post. Good thing here is the place i bought it from is paying for the bill on this one. If I find anything that can help you I will post it here.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:27 PM
aermann

Well, I got a little info today that at this mileage, these vehicles sometimes burn a valve. I will be going in for another compression test to see. My van has these symptoms all the time since it first happened. I will post the outcome once I get it. Thanks for helping, and good luck with yours.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:19 AM
deer321

A friend of mine has a 96 and had similar problem, he changed the fuel filter in the tank just off the module and since he had it apart he replaced the fuel pump too. He has never had anymore problems. Why the hell would you put the filter in the tank? He spent almost $400 on the pump and kit.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:35 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by deer321
Why the hell would you put the filter in the tank? He spent almost $400 on the pump and kit.
I think you just answered your own question here.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:58 AM
deer321

About tired of this s*#t. Went to work on the 23rd and wouldnt start at all, lost spark, was the crankshaft sensor. Replaced but still not running right sounds like its way too advanced. Tried to pull codes only thing listed is something about resetting by unhooking battery. Also when turning ignition 3 times to send into trouble code read mode it blinks 12 times and thats it. The check engine light wont come on or set a code while running i figured it would set something since its running so bad. Also before I lost spark the check engine light was on but no code other than the one i listed earlier. Im thinking the pcm is totally trashed there is only 42000 miles on the vehicle. Have not replaced the in tank filter on the module, really doubt thats it, but could be wrong. What is flashing I have seen this in other post when talking about "flashing the pcm" is that like reseting it or something. Thought this van was a good buy at $6500.oo not too sure now. Its a good looking hunk of junk setting in my driveway...lol any thought or suggestions. I bought an extended warranty from the car lot under Penn warranty anyone use it, is it a pain, need to research further. Can get a reman pcm online around $250 to $300.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:44 PM
aermann

So we finally figured it out... The ignition coil had a crack on the underside, it was sending a spark, but also arcing off on a metal housing. Started up in one shot... runs like a philly again. Damn it!!!

Old 04-03-2009, 06:20 PM
James Engle

Yes on the discharge memory. I recently changed a bad CPS still after buying 2 different ones could not get it to run right. I was informed by Alloro on this forum to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes & drive it for 10-20 minutes. Just by disconnecting the battery so the computer could reconize the new part worked. I never put much trust in the engine codes. I did have a similar problem as you do a few years ago but by installing a new oxygen sensor took care of it. Good luck been there know how your feeling.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:36 AM
deer321

I finally fixed mine turns out the original problem with the crankshaft sensor. The one they sold me was bad off the shelf. I think they should pay for my time and other parts but you know how that will turnout...lol ****ing junk *** China ****.

Quick Reply: Sputtering, Popping intake, Stall out on sudden throttle advance