Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Was 95 a bad yr. for Ram Vans?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 07:30 PM
WenVan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was 95 a bad yr. for Ram Vans?

I am newbie to this forum. This is my 1st post. I've read thru many posts, & saw where someone said that the 1998 & later models are good vans. We have a 95 & it has had some really bizarre issues over the years.

Our van has 143,000 miles on it; 5.2L engine, 1500, not a conversion. Paint flakes off like dead skin (I've been told why). Arm rest has already broken, plastic parts, vinyl etc. are degrading. All the glue used in this van seems to be defective. Just wondering if it's worth putting any more money into it. We bought it new, only 1 owner. Have not abused this van, have no kids. Only I & dh have driven it.

Also curious if anyone has experienced this. Our 95 van had this vinyl (rubber or whatever) "boot" (gasket?) at the top of the gas tank. It degraded & pieces of it fell into the tank. We've had it replaced, got new fuel pump, etc. As of this morning, the gas gauge was still dancing around. Took it back to the mechanic, he kept van for the day, says the gauge hasn't jumped around at all. Will see what he says tomorrow...

Thanks in advance for any info. I like this forum, finding much useful info here.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:34 AM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From your description you van has always been outside and not even under a shade tree when parked. Sun light will do much of the interior and exterior damage you have here.

Fuel tank boot gets alot of debree thrown from the tire and sits above the exhaust pipe both of which will cause it to go bad over time. When they replaced the fuel pump did the mechanic put in a complete new unit or pulled your apart and put in the pump only? If pump only then you sending unit may be going out, or if new unit may be either wiring connection or fault in the sending unit wire's.

Question about keeping the van, depends what the purpose of the van is. Most of what you described can be fixed exspecially if the drivetrain is in good condition. If it is a work van most people do not get to concerned about the interior parts. Also if you have access to a salvage yard you can find many parts at very fair prices. You will have to figure out if keeping this van is worth it to you or would you be happier with a 98-03 series.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:44 AM
WenVan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sad to say...

...the van has not been garage kept & we do have hot summers & cold winters here in Okla. Oh well, woulda, coulda, shoulda!

We also owned an 84 Dodge van, which we bought used. Same engine, 1500, etc. It now has 250,000 miles on it. We traded it for labor from a mechanic who worked on the 95. The 84 sat out unprotected for 14 yrs. Really seems like the 84 van was easier to work on, and a better, more durable vehicle all around, in comparison to this 95. From what I understand, the paint/primer on many mid 90's vehicles (not just Dodge) has become problematic over the years, especially this metallic blue we have. The drive train on the 95 seems to be ok as far as we can tell...knock wood!

Regarding the fuel pump, the whole unit was replaced. I just talked to the mechanic. He said they checked the wire harness yesterday & have been driving it & it's running fine, the gas gauge isn't acting up. They're going to hook it back up to the computer one more time & check all the settings. So we will see. Thanks for your speedy reply!

Last edited by WenVan; 12-04-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Though the summers are not too hot what about keeping the windows up in the summer? Interior temps can go over 120 degrees in a closed up vehicle. The high heat will dry out the plastic interior parts.

Late 80's through mid 90's were bad years for Dodge and GM on the paints. Most were due to the primer coats, several paints would just not adhear to them over the long run. I am also seeing the clear coats that are bubbling up as well.

Last edited by Mobile Auto Repair; 12-04-2008 at 09:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Was 95 a bad yr. for Ram Vans?