Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Leaking Coolant from ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 05:44 PM
frankie_d
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Coolant from ???

Recently my 99 van started to leak coolant from one of the freeze plugs. Before I really noticed it it did overheat. Well it got to 260° but never steamed or had any other issues. I added some stop leak. The next day after a long drive it was hot and steaming. There was antifreeze everywhere under the hood. I figured that I did not have the cap on tight. So I replaced the freeze plug, outside, in Michigan, in freezing temps. Filled everything back up and ran it for about ten minutes. The thermostat opened, I'm assuming, and everything seemed fine. Today I drove it for the first time for a few miles, temp gage was at 210° and not blowing heat. When I stopped there where no leaks. I left it idle while I picked up my kids and by the time I drove a couple of miles back home there was coolant pouring out of ????? It was running out from the front of the engine not the freeze plug.

I thought mabe water pump or gasket but that would not explain why it took so long for it to leak. Obviously it had to get to pressure. All the hoses look ok.

It is almost impossible to see the front of the motor. It has rear air and all the lines are right there.

Any thoughts?? This is my main vehicle and I will be fixing it outside so I do not want to really have to check out to many things. By the way it is a 5.2L

Old 12-22-2008, 06:27 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by frankie_d
temp gage was at 210° and not blowing heat.
Probably had an air pocket so it was low on coolant. That in turn could've blown the water pump seal.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:51 PM
frankie_d

Attempted to verify where it is leaking. Too stinking cold here. Took it to mechanic.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:31 PM
Bigowhiteboy

So what did your mechanic say it was? My 99 3500 van is also leaking some coolant from the front area of the engine, and I was curious what it ended up being on your van. Thanks

Old 12-25-2008, 09:35 PM
frankie_d

He pressure tested it and all he could tell was that it was from the top / front of the engine. Either a bypass hose, that's what I am hoping, or an intake gasket. He was quite sick on was taking the holiday off so I am hoping to find out more on Monday sometime.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:37 PM
frankie_d

Ok here we go. The leak was from the bypass hose. The water pump was also fried as well as the thermostat. The whole front of the engine had to be torn apart and that was no small feet.

So $627 (labor and parts) later I have my van back and it is running like new. Not sure why the hose and pump went out with only 76k on it but I guess it could have been much worse.

Quick Reply: Leaking Coolant from ???