Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Defective fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 11:01 PM
WenVan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defective fuel pump

So my fuel pump problems continue.

Purchased this "Airtex" fuel pump from Auto Zone. Van has been back to mechanic twice for pump problems. Now they say it's a defective part. Auto Zone will refund or replace part, but mechanic feels safe in going with replacement. He says all aftermarket parts (including parts from Dodge) can be defective. Thoughts on this...please!?

What are the odds we'll get another defective pump from the same maker? I'm curious to hear from anyone with experience with replacing in-tank fuel pumps on mid to late 90's Dodge Ram Vans.

I am a new customer with this mechanic. He seems confident & competent. It is so hard to find someone you can trust and all I can do is hope it works out. I've spent $ 160.00 on towing because of this fuel pump problem which has yet to be solved. I wonder if the part really is defective, or if there is something they are overlooking during the install. I'm told that the intermittentness of the problem points to a faulty pump, along with other issues. In a nutshell, the van runs fine between fill ups, but so far there has been some issue after every fill up & there's been 3 since the pump install. HELP...PLEASE!

Old 12-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Leeann
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Airtex pumps are junk. Seriously.

At least, they are junk for the GM 4.3L V6 - every fuel pump thread on a Blazer or Astro ends with the guy who put in an Airtex getting his money back and going with OEM.

I haven't had to replace the pump on my '90 or on my Bravada or Astro, so I can't give you any help on that. But I can tell you the bf replaced the fuel pump on his '90 Voyager twice with Airtex brand pumps and it failed a third time - that's when it got towed by a scrap guy.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:05 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

There are posts all over this forum and others about aftermarket pumps failing. Return it and buy the OEM one from the dealer, those last a long time. I know hindsight is 20/20, but add the towing costs to the original cost of the pump and you could've had an OEM one without all of the added aggravation.

Quick Reply: Defective fuel pump