Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Transmission Slipping/Not shifting -Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 05:33 PM
dav686
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Slipping/Not shifting -Need advice

I have a 96 Ram b2500 van that I picked up a few months ago. It was running well enough when I got it, but the transmission fluid was pretty dark, so I was a little worried. I was in a hurry and it was the best I could afford at the time. So I bought it anyway after a friend and I agreed that the transmission is probably ok.

The tranny was replaced at 112k and the mileage is now about 190k. It has the 318 engine.

About 2 weeks into driving it, slipping started to occur. I put two quarts in until it was topped off and it drove fine. I had to add another quart a few weeks later too. Since then it seems to have stopped leaking or maybe just filled up all the nooks. And I've driven it a few thousand miles with no trouble.

The other day it was slipping again. So I checked the fluid and it seemed low. I added a quart. But I think it wasn't warmed up enough and I seem to have overfilled it by a little. I've read that it's not too big a deal to overfill. But I'm not sure. And the problems didn't go away.

I've always used ATF+4 on it. But I haven't done anything to fix it beyond adding fluid.

I'm in northern Wisconsin and it's been below zero a lot lately. I don't have a garage to work on it. And pulling the pan off is not high on my list of things I want to try in subzero weather. I also don't have a lot of tools here, nor much experience really. But the similar lack of money drives me to try and fix it myself. Plus, I kind of like fixing things myself.

In Reverse it works well. In drive it will only sometimes shift from first to second. But seemingly not when it's warmed up. It won't go to third at all. If I manually shift from first to second, it will usually upshift, but with a maybe 1 second long lag. And it will sometimes start slipping in second after it warms up.

So, before taking it in to spend money I don't have on a mechanic, what can I check and do myself?

So far I'm thinking the fluid may be foaming? Or there's a vacuum problem?

Thank you for any advice you can give. This winter has been hard enough already without needing a new transmission.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:58 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

The 2nd/3rd gear band probably just needs adjusting. Fortunately for you, unlike the low/reverse band, the 2nd/3rd band is external to the tranny (driver's side) so you don't have to drop the pan to adjust it.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:14 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Front Band
The front (kickdown) band adjusting screw is located on the left side of the transmission case above the manual
and throttle valve levers.
1. Raise the vehicle.
2. Loosen the band adjusting screw locknut, and then back off locknut 3–5 turns. Be sure the adjusting screw turns freely in the case. Lubricate the screw threads if necessary.
3. Tighten the band adjusting screw to 72 in. lbs. (8 Nm).

CAUTION
Torque is critical. If an extension is used on the torque wrench to reach the adjusting screw, adjust the torque to 50 in. lbs. (5 Nm).

4. Back off the front band adjusting screw by the following amounts:
 42RE: 3 5/8 turns
 44RE: 2 1/4 turns
 46RE: 2 7/8 turns
 47RE: 1 7/8
5. Hold the adjuster screw in position and tighten the locknut to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).

Front band adjustment screw and locknut—42/44RE shown below.

Attached Thumbnails Transmission Slipping/Not shifting -Need advice-front-band.jpg  
Old 01-30-2009, 05:16 PM
transguy37
Professional

Hello,

It's not the front band, the front band is second gear only. You have the typical Dodge rear wheel drive problem. The direct drum or front drum is 3rd gear. The inner lip seal for the apply piston was installed to small from the factory. Fluid is just leaking by it and not applying the piston. It also burns the direct clutches most of the time. The front drum is also reverse, but reverse work because reverse is boosted line pressure, so there is enough to move the piston. Hope this helps.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:33 PM
dav686

Update: I haven't done anything to fix this yet. I don't have a torque wrench and haven't been out to get one yet.

But I do thank you guys for replying. I guess it couldn't hurt to try to adjust the front band even if that doesn't turn out to be the problem right?

Second gear has been a problem along with third. At first it was just third with I was in drive. The problem progressed to where second works some of the time, but it takes a long time to shift when I manually move the shifter from first to second. It seems less likely to make the shift to second after warming up.

I'll post again when I've taken the time to work on this.

Quick Reply: Transmission Slipping/Not shifting -Need advice