Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Computer/ABS module problems on 99 ram van

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 06:10 PM
DSSDuck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer/ABS module problems on 99 ram van

I have a 1999 Dodge ram B3500 gas van. Here is my issue. The computer in it caused it to start missing really badly. It was throwing some code about the turbo or some crap. Anyways, I got a new computer from the salvage yard and it took care of the missing problem, but now I have the ABS and brake lights on. I had the ABS code read and they said it was a VIN mismatch. The VIN in the computer didn't match that of the ABS module.

I called Dodge and they said that the computer or ABS module can't be reprogrammed with a new VIN once they are programmed the first time. They want to sell me either a new computer for 600 or ABS module for 400. Plus like $70 to have it programmed.

My question is, is Dodge blowing smoke up my a$$ and trying to sell me some stuff or is it true that the computer can't be programmed with a new VIN. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 02-06-2009, 06:39 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

I don't know if the VIN can be changed, but I supposed you could go back and get the ABS module from the same van the computer came out of. Then both VINs would match.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the ABS is working OK (which it probably IS) maybe you should pull the damn bulbs out of the Brake and ABS indicators in the dash and just get on with enjoying your smooth running van. Depends if you're the type to lose sleep over this or not - some guys will have to go back to the boneyard and buy the ABS unit and swap it to do things "right."

Of course, the next question becomes what code the SMEC will throw at you once the ABS mod is swapped out, right?

Last edited by Rusty93RamVan; 02-06-2009 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Big Fingers - Small Keyboard
Old 02-06-2009, 09:45 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Rusty93RamVan
some guys will have to go back to the boneyard and buy the ABS unit and swap it to do things "right."
Guilty ...I'd be up for weeks over this.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:52 PM
DSSDuck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, i already thought about going back for the abs module from the junk yard, but I think that van was crushed when metal prices were through the roof. I may just pull the bulbs, but my problem with the brake light bulb is that I am a satellite dish installer and alot of people have steep driveways and I set the ebrake. Normally the brake and abs lights don't pop on until after i have let the van run for 30-45 seconds...therefore I know the ebrake is on if I start the van and the brake light comes on right away.

I guess I am just one of those people that loses sleep over something like that. I don't like to half *** anything. Autozone has a computer for $300, so I may just get that and get it programmed. Not too sure about aftermarket computers though. I didn't even know they made an aftermarket computer!!

Old 02-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain

Small world, I'm also a professional satellite dish installer - HughesNet. If you're anything like me and the other installers I know (read: cheap as hell) your brain will tell you to spend the $300 on wholesale installation materials you can then retail to your customers for $500-$750. As for the e-brake I've been using a chunk of 4x4 pressure treated wood as a wheel chock for the last 4 years since the cable support rusted away from the chassis of my van.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:43 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Rusty93RamVan
your brain will tell you to spend the $300 on wholesale installation materials you can then retail to your customers for $500-$750.
Now you sound like a Dodge dealership repair facility.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by DSSDuck
Autozone has a computer for $300, so I may just get that and get it programmed.
You should not need to have that computer reprogrammed. It should work correctly and not keep the lights lit with out even entering the vin number into it.

Quick Reply: Computer/ABS module problems on 99 ram van