Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 04:16 PM
walters812
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help

i just got a 1990 b250 intermitting charging problem code 41 alt. batt. replaced grounds checked and cleaned

Old 02-27-2009, 01:16 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a wire leading from the alternator to the ECM/PCM/Smec computer. Follow it and look for damage, and wiggle it where it leads into the 60 pin connector. It might be the 14 pin connector, I can't remember.

There is also a fusible link behind the power brake booster. It could be partially blown and making intermittent contact. Pull out all the wires from there and tug on them to see if one stretches out. I think mine(89) was grey.
There are also some quick disconnect fittings on the 6 awg wire leading from the alternator to battery which might be loose and intermittant.

From your vague post I think you stated you have a new alternator. If you installed this new or rebuilt alternator and then started your engine with a weak battery, it is possible that the unbroken in brushes blew off the armature and got stuck. A lot of rebuilt alternators state your battery must be above 12.6 volts at start up or "alternator death' will occur.

Fully charge your battery with a wall 120 volt charger and tap the alternator with a hammer. This might allow the springs to push the brushes back onto the armature and the less load put on the alternator by a fully charged battery should keep the brushes in place until they have broken in. Baby your battery until the alternator has had a chance to break in.

This has happened to me when I put a huge load on an alternator with only 200 miles on it. It quit and only started working again after I fully charged the batteries and drove on washboarded roads for 15 miles or so.

Let us know how you make out.