Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Stalling Problems When Taking Off

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 01:15 AM
MajoraSlayer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling Problems When Taking Off

This van has been sitting for a while since the whole alternator ordeal, so I'm not sure how long its actually been since the van has seen the road.

Today I decided to take it to the gas station and put some fresh gas in it. It had been stalling out when it was first put in gear half the time just moving it in the parking lot, so I was hoping it might just be where the gas was old and fairly low. However, the fresh gash in the tank didn't make any difference.

Basically, the motor seems to run fine at idle. Once I get it going down the road, the transmission shifts out fine and the motor runs good. When I pull up to a stop sign, I can hold it in place and the motor will continue to run fine. If I let off of the brake, the van will creep forward as it should. However, if I let off of the brake from a complete stop and give it some gas the engine stalls out. A few times today I actually had to start it in Neutral and give it some gas while I shifted into Drive so that I could keep moving.

I know there are several things that might could cause this, but I don't have a lot of money to pour into it. So, I was wondering if anyone might have a suggestion as to where I should start.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:45 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

Pull off the IAC valve and give it a good cleaning. There's a good write up on this site (somewhere) that gives you step by step instructions with pictures.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:47 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator
Old 04-07-2009, 02:24 PM
MajoraSlayer

It doesn't have an IAC. There's a little canister with a rubber line going to it instead, and I couldn't remove it.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:03 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Do you have a carburetor?

Old 04-08-2009, 11:30 AM
MajoraSlayer

It should be EFI, according to the branding in the rear.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:38 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Then you should at least have a throttle kicker motor on the intake. If this motor isn't working right your idle will be on the low side which could account for the hesitation/stalling during take off.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:57 PM
MajoraSlayer

Unless it can get out of adjustment, I believe its working right. I took the cover off the engine and watched it. The motor consistently moves the throttle back and forth with the key, and it doesn't sound like the little motor is getting weak or anything.

Quick Reply: Stalling Problems When Taking Off