Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 04:23 PM
ss2003hg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission question

i have a 97 b3500 5.9 liter with what it calls 'super heavy duty' overdrive transmission. starting out from a dead stop it feels like its starting in 2nd gear. if you put it L2 or L1 though, it starts out fine, like its supposed to. a few months back it lost 3rd gear, and luckily a fluid and filter change took care of that. the filter was plugged with debris. So i just changed it again to see if that would help this problem , and although not clogged it had some metal particles on it. the thing does great after you get going, just starting out its either slipping or starting out in 2nd gear. and also may be whining just a bit, could be rear end, seems to go away when when you temporarily put in nuetral going down the road. So, does anyone know if i need new tranny or is it just more of a minor problem?
thanks in advance.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:16 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Sounds like you're facing a tranny rebuild.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:38 AM
Slo_Stng

I recently bought a 2002 b3500 5.9 with 125k, replacing my 98 b1500 v6. I noticed that it would take off slower than my v6 use too from a dead stop, so I asked around and was told it was probably cuz it was a lot heavier. I didnt think much of it since it was running good on all gears once it got up to speed. Few days ago I drove a buddys 02 b2500 5.9, and his truck takes off a lot quiker. So I started messing around with mine, and noticed that just like yours, it feels like it takes off in 2nd when in D, but in L1 or L2 it takes off just fine. Overall the trans feels good except for take offs. Trying to figure out what it could be??

Old 07-01-2009, 01:49 PM
lilredex
Rookie

Be sure that your "kick-down" band (That's the one on the outside) is adjusted properly. A quick check.....at 80KM/HR (50MPH) and decelerating pull it into "2" it should feel as though you are braking moderately. If it just floats along and makes little difference in the deceleration rate it is a good indication your band is out of adj.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Slo_Stng

Well I tried what you suggested, pull it onto "2", and nothing happened for a sec, then it went straight to L1. So I should check the bands?

Old 07-10-2009, 10:50 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes adjust the bands and do a fluid/filter change as well.

Quick Reply: transmission question