Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

97 B2500 Transmission Fluid Amount

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 12:58 AM
TimsterNJ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 B2500 Transmission Fluid Amount

My transmission fluid is low and the van has been slipping in reverse, so I plan on dropping the pan and changing the filter.
I know this will not change all the fluid, but I figure this is a good time to change the filter.
The owner’s manual says after dropping the pan, start with 2 quarts and go from there.
I have seen posts where it took 7-8 quarts.
I have the 5.2L with a 4 speed, I think?
It has Drive, 2 and 1 with overdrive. I guess that is a 4 speed.
Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Old 06-26-2009, 01:30 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

8 quarts for a complete tear down and rebuild, but only 4 quarts for a filter change and refill.

You'll need to adjust the bands when the pan is off.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:19 PM
lilredex
Rookie

You can go a bit further if you wish. When you have the pan all buttoned up you can disconnect the line from the cooler (rad) and have it empty into a clear jug. Add a little oil at a time and run for short periods in neutral. This will attempt to cleanse the remainder of the transmission oil. You can watch your progress in the clear jug. Keep the running periods short so the transmission does not run dry.

And yes, be sure to re-adjust both bands. I usually make them slightly tighter than spec, especially if an older hi miler. You can double check the clearance with a feeler gauge, but I don't have that info. at hand at the moment. Could have been in Carl H. Monroes transmission book on 727's ISBN: 9781557883995

Old 03-14-2011, 05:59 PM
partygras

Hi, I recently replaced the Governor Solenoid & pressure sensor. I have noticed some sluggishness in my acceleration, more so after the trans has warmed up. I did not adjust the bands as I'm not familiar with that procedure. Would that be the cause? Also I used ATF+4, would is the the proper fluid? 97 Dodge Ram B2500 5.2 Thanks for any information.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:41 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

There are two band that can be adjusted. The first, which the pan has to be off to do, is for 1st(low) and reverse. The 2nd, which is external to the tranny, is for 2nd gear(intermediate). There are no bands (or adjustments) for 3rd or OD. So if your sluggishness is present in 1st or 2nd gears then yes, a band adjustment could be in order. If however the sluggishness is in 3rd or OD then no, a band adjustment won't help.

You can use ATF+3(7176) or ATF+4.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Bad Van Momma

Alloro...your post just gave me an idea about my bummed out transmission...It runs but lags in 1st and 2nd (perfect once it gets into 3rd or overdrive, 93 with a 4spd).
Might need a band adjustment in addition to a new brass sleeve/ring (all chewed up).

As for the amount...If you've lost more than a quart...Get it checked out quick...You might have a pump issue or a leak somewhere. And a basic change will only change out 4 quarts

Quick Reply: 97 B2500 Transmission Fluid Amount