Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1982 B250 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 04:22 PM
82B250CDN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 1982 B250 Questions

Here is a couple of questions for the people who have some knowledge.

First, I have tried everything with this van to get it to run leaner, If it runs on high idle for more than 30 second it will run rich and belch black smoke out the tail pipe. If I start it with out using the high idle on the carb it runs leaner but still puffs small amounts of black smoke. Short of putting a new carb on it I'm not sure what else to try. Any Suggestions?

Second, This van has been converted I'm assuming from a passenger van to a camper it has a raised roof but there are things missing for the camper conversion like a converter (for Power) and all of the proper wiring. the older guy who owned it before me really kinda rigged everything to work. But I have some electrical issues ( LOL ) sometimes the interior lights work sometimes they don't I have cleaned the switches on all the doors but still only the front door switches work when the interior lights are working. When I tried to get the glove box light to work I almost had a dash fire. So I just left that disconnected.

A little more info on the van it has a 5.2 and not sure what transmission but after wires, plugs, rotor, and cap and timing check all spark knock is gone and it is running much stronger. I have done all the regular maintenance things the more I do the better it seems to get, but the burnung rich problem stumps me I love this van and don't want to give up on it. P.S. I only paid 260.00 canadian for it so I have been doing all of the work on it myself to keep costs down if there is any help out there for the problem with the carb I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance
Jacob

Old 07-01-2009, 05:05 PM
kev2
Veteran

BASICS:
suggest you get a vacuum gauge, best tool for working carb (old school) engines..
1982-been a while so memory is rusty especially at my age...have you if applicable adjusted mixture?
running rich: carb may have a problem with float level, needle and seat, etc...will get you some how-to info.

does the choke open fully and is pulloff operating?
Sometimes the thermostat may be removed and engine never gets to operating temp.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:48 PM
lilredex
Rookie

I'll assume you have a Carter BBD carburetor which is common on those.

Check to see that the choke pull off is operating and the choke is set properly. Should work like this-- cold. Press down accelerator choke snaps shut, engine starts and pull off pulls choke open 1/4". If it operates in this fashion but is still "chugging" open choke a bit more with a screwdriver. The stroke of the pull off is adjusted by pinching the linkage to make it shorter if need be. That is one of the most common rough idle and black smoke problems. As it warms up the choke should open fully.

http://www.carburetor.ca/carbs/kits/CK021.htm

Old 07-04-2009, 04:42 PM
82B250CDN
Default Thanks Guys

Thanks guys everything you have stated I have done I guess I am just going to have to rebuild it. But I must say it does get better the more I drive it. I'm off on a 1300 km trip today so I'll let you guys know when I get back how everything went. Thanks for the replies. Jacob

Old 07-05-2009, 11:37 AM
lilredex
Rookie

Again, assuming it is a Carter BBD, I have a chart that shows all the dimensions for those metering rods and jets they used. Also figured out the best combination, if you want that also. Just ask.

Quick Reply: 1982 B250 Questions