Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Tightening Transmission bands?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 01:26 PM
DieselGMCvan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tightening Transmission bands?

I have a 1995 Ram Van with a V6 and 3 speed (w/ lockup torque) trans. The trans has been slipping a little for a while (about 4 months). I have been driving it anyway because if you go easy on it then it shifts fine and doesnt slip.

But now I'm wondering if these transmissions have bands in them like the older ones did? And if they do, should tightening them make the slipping stop?

Thanks, Spenser

Old 07-07-2009, 05:26 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Yes they do have bands, one is adjusted from outside the tranny and the other is adjusted from inside once the pan is removed. Adjusting them will stop the tranny from slipping as long as you didn't let the situation go on too long. All you can do is try it and see if there is any improvement.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:01 PM
DieselGMCvan

OK thanks!

I looked in a Haynes Manual, and it says one band is called the "low-reverse" band, and the other is the "kickdown" band. Since my trans has problems in the 1st-2nd gear area, I'd assume the "low-reverse" band would be more what I'm after... But what exactly does each band do?

Thanks, Spenser

Old 07-09-2009, 12:45 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

The low/reverse band would take care of slippage when taking off in drive or reverse. The intermediate band is for a problem with 2nd gear.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:33 AM
DieselGMCvan

Ok cool thank you!

I tightened the low/ reverse band, and changed the filter too. Its better but not 100% fixed (no shuddering, still a little slipping though. I don't have to go as easy on it when driving now - it can take a little more power through it). There seemed to be a lot of metal in the pan when I took it off though.

I may tighten the other band sometime today or tomorrow... The problem was it was slipping in 1st and shuddering when shifting into 2nd. So maybe that band needs to be a little tighter too.

-Spenser

Quick Reply: Tightening Transmission bands?