Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Bought 1991 Dodge Ram Conversion Van 250 - Electrical Trouble Shooting

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 02:50 AM
NikLaw1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought 1991 Dodge Ram Conversion Van 250 - Electrical Trouble Shooting

I made a post earlier. I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

1) Wipers don't work, i suspect its the wiper switch.
2) Horn doesn't work
3) Power Window's don't work
4) Power Locks don't work
5) Air / AC doesn't work. Doesn't blow anything,
(a) rear blower does work. Only blows warm air.

-------------------

Cigarette lighter does work
Headlights / Taillights work
Dash Lights work
Cabin Lights work
Glovebox Light Works...

I've checked and replaced all fuses. My band bought this van as a tour van - investment. We got it because the motor seems to be running great, and the transmission feels smooth.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:22 AM
lilredex
Rookie

Originally Posted by NikLaw1

I've checked and replaced all fuses.

Have you checked to see that there is power at those fuses in the fusebox? No power -- get a circuit dwg and work backwards to see how they are powered. Sometimes it is just a crappy connection comming through the firewall.........that big plug behind the battery.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:50 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

To me, it sounds like a fried fusible link feeding the ignition switch.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:17 PM
NikLaw1

Great, i appreciate both responses.

Does anyone have a picture of what the "fusible link" that i can look for as I'm checking the wires?

-Thanks
Nik

Old 08-02-2009, 01:22 PM
NikLaw1

Originally Posted by lilredex
Have you checked to see that there is power at those fuses in the fusebox? No power -- get a circuit dwg and work backwards to see how they are powered. Sometimes it is just a crappy connection comming through the firewall.........that big plug behind the battery.

Awesome, when i get back to the van today I'll look for the connection.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:16 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by NikLaw1
Does anyone have a picture of what the "fusible link" that i can look for as I'm checking the wires?

Old 08-02-2009, 07:23 PM
NikLaw1

Originally Posted by alloro
I checked the fusible link, and all the wiring looks great. So if i start tracing from the battery, next in line is the fuse box right? is the only way to access the leads into the fuse box is by removing the dash?

-N

Old 08-03-2009, 10:55 AM
lilredex
Rookie

[[Have you checked to see that there is power at those fuses in the fusebox? No power -- get a circuit dwg and work backwards to see how they are powered. Sometimes it is just a crappy connection comming through the firewall.........that big plug behind the battery]]

Guess I wasn't clear here. Get a test light and confirm that there is or isn't power on BOTH sides of the fuses in question (not on the fuse but the clip holder). Then you know what direction your search should be. No power you need to go backwards towards the battery to find a faulty connection ( Plug mentioned above, fusible link, etc.) A circuit dwg is most helpful so you know where you are going and what you are looking for. You cannot do a "visual" on a fusible link. If you do have power, you need to direct your attention in the other direction and look for faulty connections, bad switch, etc. A test light (and a dwg) will be your friends in both situations.

No need to tear anything apart..................yet. You have to find the problem.

Last edited by lilredex; 08-03-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:04 PM
NikLaw1

ok so we got a wiring diagram and we're gonna start tracing it today. But how to I access the back of the fuse box? I tried pulling the screws and wiggling it out into the open cavity of the glove box and it seemed to just not wanna go. Do I need to pull the whole dash to access the backside of the fuse box?

-Nik

Old 08-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Shadow67

Just going by the list of works/don't work, I would check the ignition switch. I couldn't say with absolute certainty, but it's quite possible all the don't works are things that are disabled whe the ignition switch is turning over the starter. Could be that the bypass to those circuits has managed to become permanent.

Quick Reply: Bought 1991 Dodge Ram Conversion Van 250 - Electrical Trouble Shooting