Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2500 Ram Van won't start

Old 08-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Buddhaful
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2500 Ram Van won't start

It had been parked for 4 days. I got in started it, drove 5 miles to the store. I came out of the store, got in and nothing. Doesn't turn, doesn't crank, no sound at all?

I took the battery out, took it to checker. they said it was dead, put it it on their charger, and said the battery was no good. I replaced the battery (the light in the hood instantly came on) tightened the terminals, got in to start it and nothing?

The terminals are fairly corroded....any chance this is the problem, or could I have bigger problems on hand.

What does the fact that absolutely nothing happens when I turn the key indicate as far as what could be the problem?

If other things related to the battery (lights, auto door locks) work, should I expect my Van to start as well.

thanks!

Old 08-28-2009, 12:51 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddhaful
The terminals are fairly corroded....any chance this is the problem
I'd lay down about an 80% chance this is your problem. The starter draws significantly more power than anything else in the vehicle. Enough power can get through the corrosion to run smaller drawing devices, yet not enough gets through to turn the starter.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:19 PM
DieselGMCvan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe check the neutral start safety switch on the trans. I had a van that would do nothing like yours once in a while, but then I could throw it in neutral and it'd start. That switch has 3 pins - the center one has to be grounded in order for the van to crank over. When the outside 2 pins connect together, this turns the back-up lights on.

BTW - when you say "nothing" - do you mean absolutely nothing like the battery isn't hooked up (if so disregard my idea on the safety switch)? But for some reason I just took it as the engine wouldn't crank over..

-Spenser

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2500 Ram Van won't start