Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Cat glows red

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 05:24 AM
gregstukey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat glows red

I got a new cat and Y pipe from Magnaflow and took the van (3500 with a 5.9) around for a spin. When I got back I made a visual inspection to the cat and saw it was glowing red in the center. I understand that this can be cause by unburned fuel fogging through the engine----

I guess Im asking how concerned about this should I be? I dont feel like this should be normal but this is my first new cat install. I remember in the past the van floor getting quite hot---almost to hot to touch the rubber flooring and that was with the oem cat.

Should I be concerned and what should I look at as a cause??

Thanks,
Greg

Old 10-24-2009, 12:57 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by gregstukey
Should I be concerned and what should I look at as a cause?
Yes it is a cause for concern. Catalytic converters do get hot, but they're not supposed to turn red hot. This is a sign of unburnt fuel getting into the CC.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:03 PM
gregstukey

So what could cause a rich running condition where the ecm controls the mix?

I've recently replace a head, plenum gasket, plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. Where should I look and is my brand new cat cooked? Runs well, no miss under acceleration and maintains a consistent idle. No signs of overheat. Only the cat glows and nothing in the pipe before and after. It takes about 5-10 minutes of running at idle for it to glow.

Thanks,
-Greg

Old 10-24-2009, 07:14 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

You didn't specify a year for the van so I'll assume it's fuel injected. In this case, a leaking fuel injector or a bad O2 sensor would be the first things I'd test.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:59 PM
gregstukey

Sorry, its a 2000 and it is injected. What about the fuel pressure regulator/filter? I know its an extended life item but im up to 195K and, as we are just hypothesizing, im wondering if that could contribute.

But, i will do a pressure test to the fuel rail and what is the best way to test my O2 sensors assuming I have no access to a diagnostic scan tool---other than an engine code reader.

By the way, I have no engine light indicating anything is a miss.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Cat glows red