Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Bum Steering in 92 Ram 250 custom

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 10:27 PM
dodgewise
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bum Steering in 92 Ram 250 custom

Hello, I have a 92 Ram Van 250 318 that has roughly 156k miles and it has bum steering, part of the reason I'm concerned is I will towing a trailer on a 145 miles trip soon and I don't want to take a chance and fish tail and get into an accident. I have narrowed the problem down to where the steering rod knuckle connects to the Steering Box as you can see in the photos, what I need to figure out is if the part that the knuckle connects to where the bushing is can be replaced or is that part of the gear box, or is there some kind of repair kit? I got a quote on a steering box it's 145 bucks with 75 bucks core, I guess the steering box should be replaced being that there are so many miles, but I"m on a tight budget so if I can just replace the housing for the knuckle that would be better if it's cost effective. Also does anyone know if maybe a dampner/stabilizer might just solve the problem?
Thanks for any help or suggestions
Ken

Name:  DCAM6781.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  58.3 KB

Name:  DCAM6782.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  71.6 KB

Last edited by dodgewise; 10-30-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:43 AM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '89 came with a slightly different looking steering coupler.
It was heavily worn, and IMO a very poor design. They do sell a kit to rebuild the insides, if you can find it.

I replaced my steering gear and replaced the original coupler with a steering U joint from Flaming river. The difference is night and day.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLA-FR1755/

This one bolts directly onto the steering gear. I also bought an 18 inch piece of dd 3/4 inch steering shaft. I cut it down to about 14 inches, and slid it 10 inches inside the steering column.

I did a write up on this procedure with photos on other dodge "talk" forum.

Google it, register, and search my posts. If I could attach some URLs here, I'd post some high res photos here. Here are some links to the photos.
http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/s...t/IMG_2748.jpg
http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/s...t/IMG_2729.jpg
http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/s...t/IMG_2745.jpg
http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/s...t/IMG_2750.jpg
http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/s...t/IMG_2756.jpg
http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/s...t/IMG_2759.jpg

If the base of your steering column looks the same as mine you can do what I did.

If you decide to rebuild your coupler, you have to unbolt the steering column from the floor and pull it out a few inches to remove the coupler.

I just cut my old DD steering shaft and was able to remove it without unbolting the column. I had the new steering gear in place but unbolted, and had to move it to the side to slide the Long DD shaft into the column.

If you unbolt the steering column, make sure to disconnect the battery first.

I'll be glad to answer any questions you have, if I can.

The dampener only helps prevent wear on some steering components when on rough roads or helps in the event of a front tire blow out. It does not reduce slop. It actually adds drag and slows down the steering. I removed mine after the above modifications, as I no longer drive Baja's washboarded roads.

There is a way to tighten the steering box as well. I did that and got a noticeable improvement, but when the gear really started leaking badly, I then replaced it.

Last edited by landyacht318; 10-31-2009 at 02:16 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:22 AM
dodgewise
Default Thanks

Well, it sounds like you were able to improvise a fix, looking at the pics it does seem that the setups are different in the models. I wonder about this kit to repair the inside of the housing, Would you happen to know what it might be called? It seems that short of finding that the only option is going to have to be to replace the whole gear box, unless there is a way to tighten this one, but the play in the wheel is clearly at that junction so I kind of doubt it would make a difference.
Thanks

Last edited by dodgewise; 10-31-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:10 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker

Back when I was researching the steering coupler, looking for a new stock version, I came across a write up, I think it was on this forum, in the pickup thread. I'll look a little later and edit this post. The guy posts a link to the mopart #. However your coupler appears different. The wide flat parts of the bell Cup appears wider. There is also the possibility that the insides of the bell are worn, and new knuckles inside it will only reduce the slop, not eliminate it, that is if you can find the correct kit to do so.

What does the bottom of your steering column look like? If it is a DD shaft, you can do what I did. DD shaft is a 3/4 inch steel bar with 2 flat sides opposite each other. Look closely at the photo with the new and old posted side by side, from above.

I think the hardest part of adding a u joint to yours would be drilling the hole for the set screw in the gear, with it in place.

I feel that your terms of "improvising a fix" are innaccurate.

I think what I did is a vast improvement over the original design. I still have a little play inside the steering column itself, but the steering is 90% tighter with the U joint and new gear.

Replacing the gear box would still leave you with the problem of a sloppy coupler. They are separate parts.

Last edited by landyacht318; 10-31-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:48 PM
dodgewise
Question

Well I guess it's not something I can do myself, I just had a mechanic look at it and the pitman arm is also a factor I did not realize that before at any rate, he is going to try to see if it's something he can solve.
Thanks

Old 10-31-2009, 03:42 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dodgewise
Well I guess it's not something I can do myself, I just had a mechanic look at it and the pitman arm is also a factor I did not realize that before at any rate, he is going to try to see if it's something he can solve.
Thanks

Well it looks like your tight budget might be getting a little stretched.

The Pitman arm is a moving part, it has no moving parts. Either the nut holding it onto the steering gear was loose, or the rod( Drag link) attached to it has some worn out joints.

Ask to be shown the old parts.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Bum Steering in 92 Ram 250 custom