Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Trans trouble I think

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 06:44 PM
anlake2
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans trouble I think

Back with my 1999 Dodge Ram van....Noticed it was shifting kind of slow, took it to Transmasters. After runing a diagnostics, they said my trans was fine, seemed to be an engine problem. I took the paper with the code on it to a mechanic transmasters suggested. On the way to the mechanics shop it started to miss pretty bad. I tried to explain to the mech what was told to me and about the missing. 249 dollars later, a tune up, oil change,said it was running good. I got in took off and it was still shifting slow.. Any one have something like this. I sure good use some words of knowledge I have a little over 100 thou, miles, had the trans serviced about 60 thou. The fluid looks and smell clean

Last edited by anlake2; 02-03-2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-03-2010, 06:57 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

You have over 40K miles since the tranny was serviced. Do a fluid/filter change and adjust the two bands. That should take care of things for you.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:29 PM
anlake2
Amateur

Thank you alloro. You gave me some good advice the last time I was on. Been awhile . One other thing I would like to mention if you wouldn't mind. My gas gage quit. I can pull the fuse and put it back in and it will work for a few minutes then quit

Old 02-04-2010, 09:47 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by anlake2
I can pull the fuse and put it back in and it will work for a few minutes then quit
That sounds like a bad gauge within the instrument cluster.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:42 PM
anlake2
Amateur
Exclamation Trans and more.

Here it is a year later and still cannot find out what is wron with my van. Taken to three trans shops.. they say it is not the trans, I need a tune up. I got a tune up last year when they said this. The only code that shows up is the one for the fuel gauge.
The mech today said it was running lean. I had two problems fuel pump amda miss probably a wire. 3 years ago they said this I replace it and the old one I took out someone else is using and it still works.
on 2/3 10 I posted this same problem and different mechanics say the same. Had the trans serviced and they said I could not have the bands adjusted..

Old 01-06-2011, 12:40 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the van has the 5.2L/318cid then 46RE trans can have the bands adjusted. This goes for the V6 as well with the other tranny w/o OD too. My Haynes manual even mentions step-by-step how to adjust the bands in the tranny.

Find a shop that does tranny work with ASE mechanics.

Quick Reply: Trans trouble I think