Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

91 b350 overdrive/downshift problem-help

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 12:17 PM
monettejb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 91 b350 overdrive/downshift problem-help

Hey guys, new to the forum here, but I've raped my mind and Im flustered. Here is my problem. I bought a 1991 b350 5.2l van for my band. When we bought it overdrive switch would engage and disengage od. Now it is not working. The light is still lit up on the button when "off." Here are the syptoms. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Overdrive DOES work, can not disengage. It seems like it shifts from 3rd to od within a second or two at low speeds. I can shift through all gears with overdrive off and it still shifts into overdrive. It doesnt seem to be kicking into passing gear at speeds of 55mph

When I slow down, it doesnt downshift until I came to a complete stop. Basically if someone is turning in front of me and I go to hit the gas, it feels like its not kicking into high/passing gear. If I shift down into 2nd gear manually it does like it should. Sometimes when its cold, after the 1st complete stop, I will fill a slam into gear type feeling while Im stopped.

I can tell you that the tranny is the one with the one corner cut out on the gasket.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:28 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Sounds like a short in the wire running to the OD solenoid in the tranny. Perhaps it is chaffed somewhere and is shorting to ground.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:21 AM
monettejb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool, I'll check that out. I talked to a guy, he said something about the govener sticking? I read about that solenoid so Im going to trouble shoot that first.

Quick Reply: 91 b350 overdrive/downshift problem-help