Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2000 B1500 - Turns Over, Dash Powers Up, but No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 06:13 PM
spencer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 B1500 - Tyrns over, Etc.....

Okay. Here's where it stands. I've been spending as much time as possible trying to chase this down. The dark green w/ orange stripe wire (#87 output from the ASD relay) appears to be shorted to ground somewhere amongst the many things it goes to. As I stated earlier in this thread, I have power at #30 (power to the ASD relay) and #87A (normally closed), and with the key "on" I have power across #85/#86, but no voltage (0.0VDC) at #87, reading from the female disconnect terminal to battery negative. I do, however, have excellent continuity to battery negative, the body (at the firewall) and the engine (0.0 ohms) which leads me to think that this wire, somewhere in it's travels, has rubbed through or one of the sensors, injectors, etc. that it supplies has shorted to ground. Has anyone had a similar experience that can advise me where potential trouble spots might be. I'm getting tired of unwinding black tape! Thanx, Spence.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:01 PM
spencer
Default Hey, Alloro:2000 B1500 - Turns Over, Etc.

I see your on-line now, so I thought I'd give you some closure to my van's problem. As you stated, "It's one for the record books". The problem turned out to be caused by the alternator. At first, when it got hot, it would short to ground and pull everything else in the ASD circuit with it. After it cooled back down, you could start it back up and drive it until it heated up again. It eventually made ground contact permanently, which made trying to find the offending component or wire almost impossible. I actually sort of stumbled on it when, out of desparation, I began disconnecting all of the components in the system unit-by-unit, injector-by-injector, ect. When I finally pulled the field plug out of the back of the alternator, lo and behold, I could hear the ASD relay click and I discovered that all of the other components in the ASD circuit had come back to life. Installed a reman alternator from Autozone and have been able to drive a reliable van ever since. I'd like to thank you and the others here on Dodge Forum for your guidence and tolerating my rantings through this ordeal. Without you all to prod me onward, I probably would have poured gas on it and made the headlines! Thanx, Spence

Old 08-11-2010, 01:02 PM
rezonator
Professional

glad to hear you stuck to it and figured it out
must of been a great relief when you finally fixed it

Old 08-11-2010, 09:28 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

I certainly know that feeling of beating the machine, and it's surely a good one! It's time for you to tell the world that you now ROCK!

Quick Reply: 2000 B1500 - Turns Over, Dash Powers Up, but No Spark