Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Converting

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Hillbilly Wheeling
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting

I have casually looked at converting a van from 2wd to 4wd, everyone says dont do it!!!
From what I can tell these Dodge Ram B150 Vans have a short nose so there is no room for leaf spring suspension which from what I gather is the easiest to install. In order to do this I would probably have to extend the frame rails out then mount on the leaf brackets making sure of course that it is all centered which can be a pain in the ****.

Then there is the transfer case, whcih again is going to be a "little" work for the mounting bracket. I have always thought from the outset that its easier to go with a divorced transfercase because then I dont have to switch out the transmission. I heard also that its best to make both the front and rear drive shafts the same length because if one breaks you can swap one out for the other and you dont have to have 2 seperate spares, only one. If you run with spare drive shafts.

Of course I am still pondering this idea of mine to convert a van from 2wd to 4wd. Its still in the initial stages. I guess the only factor that is limiting me is the cost. Of course I could go with a good old Chevrolet Suburban, already a 4x4 but there is very limited space in the back to make it a camper. I have never seen a raised roof Suburban......yet. The only raised roof burbs I have seen are the ambulance style with like an extra foot of height. I do like my current van, its a B150 with a V6 that is just awesome on gas, knowing how heavy the van is. I get 16 MPG currently.

The other way I can go, is just go ahead and buy a used can thats already converted to 4wd, but then I wont have my V6 engine. I could buy the burb and swap out the V8 to V6, but thats a pain in the **** as well.

The conclusion I come to everytime I spend time thinking about this is just go ahead and buy a 1980's Chevrolet Suburban 4x4 and rip out the back seat. Which is probably what I will end up doing.

Quick Reply: Converting