Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2003 1500 Van eFan

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010 | 03:35 PM
banner1124
|
Rookie

I'm just going to go with the probe. It's easy enough to do. Now I'll have to figure out how to get it to go with the high speed when the AC is on

Old 07-30-2010 | 05:05 PM
RussellRowell
Rookie

I'm gonna post my install for ya. GL

Last edited by RussellRowell; 07-30-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-30-2010 | 06:15 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator

Originally Posted by banner1124
I haven't found a place where I can screw it in
Although this isn't the exact part, what you need to find is something like this in the correct size:
http://www.z1motorsports.com/product...oducts_id=2822

Old 07-30-2010 | 11:32 PM
banner1124
|
Rookie

Originally Posted by alloro
Although this isn't the exact part, what you need to find is something like this in the correct size:
http://www.z1motorsports.com/product...oducts_id=2822
That would have been a sweet find, but I decided to go with the probe. Plenty of folks using that and have it working well enough. Here's my next dilema. I'm pretty certain that I'll be fine most times with the low speed. But for my own sanity I'd like to be able to at least have it kick in high speed when the AC is on. Soooo, here's what I was thinking... when I splice into the AC switch with the AC override from the controller couldn't I just also splice in the high speed wire so that when the AC override kicks the fan on the high speed is hot and the fan runs on high speed? I'm not much of an electrical person so I don't know what will happen if both the low and high speeds are hot at the same time. I assume in a factory installation that would never be the case but I could be wrong. Can someone enlighten me?

Old 07-31-2010 | 05:46 AM
RussellRowell
Rookie

No, that will not work. First, you splice into the wire at the compressor, not the a/c switch if you didn't know this. And it's a small wire from the controller. The controller senses the a/c turning on and then sends power to the fan. The power wire going to the fan from the relay (controller) should be 10 ga because the Taurus fan pulls a lot of current at start up especially on high. Dude, if you hook it up like your wanting to for high speed with a/c. Your gonna screw something up bad. Read my write up and you will be able to have low or high speed with the a/c on.

Old 07-31-2010 | 10:54 AM
banner1124
|
Rookie

Originally Posted by RussellRowell
No, that will not work. First, you splice into the wire at the compressor, not the a/c switch if you didn't know this. And it's a small wire from the controller. The controller senses the a/c turning on and then sends power to the fan. The power wire going to the fan from the relay (controller) should be 10 ga because the Taurus fan pulls a lot of current at start up especially on high. Dude, if you hook it up like your wanting to for high speed with a/c. Your gonna screw something up bad. Read my write up and you will be able to have low or high speed with the a/c on.
I was already aware that I was spicing into the compressor switch. Also have the 10ga wire so that's no problem. My gut was telling me that what I wanted to do wasn't going to work but just wanted confirmation from someone who knows a bit more than i do.

By the way that is a nice write up. Only thing is I was hoping to be able to set it up to switch to high speed automatically. Oh well, I think I'm overcomplicating things... all indications are that the low speed seeting is more than enough so I'm just going to wire it up that way.

Last edited by banner1124; 07-31-2010 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Additional info added
Old 07-31-2010 | 12:02 PM
alloro

Originally Posted by banner1124
Only thing is I was hoping to be able to set it up to switch to high speed automatically.
So what's stopping you? All you need is a second relay that has both the 87 and the 87a connections. Connect the power wire currently going to the low speed wire instead to 30, the fan's low wire to 87a, the fan's high wire to 87, and then power the coil off the compressor clutch wiring. When the A/C is off so is the relay and power routes to the fan low wire. Turn on the A/C and the relay energizes and switches power from the low wire to the high wire and you end up with your high speed fan.

Old 07-31-2010 | 10:52 PM
banner1124
|
Rookie

So what's stopping you? All you need is a second relay that has both the 87 and the 87a connections. Connect the power wire currently going to the low speed wire instead to 30, the fan's low wire to 87a, the fan's high wire to 87, and then power the coil off the compressor clutch wiring. When the A/C is off so is the relay and power routes to the fan low wire. Turn on the A/C and the relay energizes and switches power from the low wire to the high wire and you end up with your high speed fan.
Anyone happen to have a photo of this kind of relay and I assume it's something I can pick up at the local auto parts store?

Old 07-31-2010 | 11:02 PM
alloro

Here's a photo of it. (It's quite common.)

Old 07-31-2010 | 11:11 PM
banner1124
|
Rookie

Here's a photo of it. (It's quite common.)
Thanks. So I'm basically replacing the AC override function of the fan controller with this relay right? That's brilliant.

Quick Reply: 2003 1500 Van eFan