Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

97 1500 5.2L, no spark at coil

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 04:35 PM
chemguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 1500 5.2L, no spark at coil

Hey guys I have a problem. 97 1500 with 5.2L just died yesterday. It was running down the road and just shut off. Cranks but no spark at coil.

I have been reading some of the other threads here and I am not sure what to try next.

When I checked the coil input leads I got:

Dark green/Orange wire - 12v when the key is first turned on and the fuel pump is running. After that nothing. With the key off that wire has continuity with ground.

The Gray wire is ground the whole time.

Crank sensor inputs (3 pin wires): 5V on the ends, ground in the middle with key on and cranking.

It has the check engine light on when you turn the key on and its not throwing any codes with the key trick.

I am concerned about the +12v while the fuel pump is running, is that normal?

The battery is 13.5v and the connections and grounds look good.
I cant find any loose wires or connectors and it ahsnt tried to spark once since it died.

I have not confirmed that the fuel injectors are firing, Im going back to look at that now.

Anyone have any ideas before I start throwing parts at this thing?

Thanks,

Dan

Old 09-24-2010, 12:56 AM
Poagman
Rookie
Default On side of HWY right now!!

I was driving on HWY well after warmed up then it acted as if it ran out of gas or was flooding. Got weak, couldn't keep RPM's, and I believed it died due to lost RPM's,lost oil PSI.

Background:
- 350K Miles
- Really old cat (may be full?) and smog/air pump doesn't have a belt attached (effect?)
- A/C Electrical wires that connect on front passenger side by <heater box?>. 2 different plugs not connected.

Testing Done/Thoughts:
*Oil leaked out and engine seized - Oil was full when checked after fail
*Tranny Seized - It would still start while out of gear (I think)
*Belt driven itemseized (water pump, alt, A/C, P/S) - No broken, squeeking, or smoking belts. Haven't watched from front while cranking.

*Wire from coil didn't "appear" to spark from different grounding locations

*****When cranking, minimal amount of gas is visible while looking in TB.*****
*****When key released (on position) it spews gas like a garden hose while engine is dead (not turning, no spark)

* No smog/Air pump belt caused cat to fill/clogg, engine choked to death, O2 sensor is trippin and causing TB to spew gas????

TPS throttle Position Sensor? Throttle cable not stuck and "TB valves?" are closed/barely open while gas is spewing, not wide open as if hitting the gas. (What's that mean?)

Sorry for somuch info, but it seems relevant.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:42 PM
Zane Minney
Default Same problem did u figure anything out

Originally Posted by chemguy
Hey guys I have a problem. 97 1500 with 5.2L just died yesterday. It was running down the road and just shut off. Cranks but no spark at coil.

I have been reading some of the other threads here and I am not sure what to try next.

When I checked the coil input leads I got:

Dark green/Orange wire - 12v when the key is first turned on and the fuel pump is running. After that nothing. With the key off that wire has continuity with ground.

The Gray wire is ground the whole time.

Crank sensor inputs (3 pin wires): 5V on the ends, ground in the middle with key on and cranking.

It has the check engine light on when you turn the key on and its not throwing any codes with the key trick.

I am concerned about the +12v while the fuel pump is running, is that normal?

The battery is 13.5v and the connections and grounds look good.
I cant find any loose wires or connectors and it ahsnt tried to spark once since it died.

I have not confirmed that the fuel injectors are firing, Im going back to look at that now.

Anyone have any ideas before I start throwing parts at this thing?

Thanks,

Dan
did you figure out what it was my jeep is doing the sane thing

Quick Reply: 97 1500 5.2L, no spark at coil