Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1992 Dodge B350 5.2L

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 11:23 AM
wifesdaycarevan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1992 Dodge B350 5.2L

Hi all, I just joined this site to get some info about my wifes daycare van. The van is a 92 B350 with a 5.2L. Recently it has been stalling when she turns corners or climb hills. I checked the fuel pressure on the rail and it is a constant 35 psi and climbs to 40 psi when I mash it. I am trying to figure out what is causing this vans stalls. I hve changed the air filter and also checked the fuel press regulator and it seems to be functioning. I was told that these vans didnt come with a multiport injections system...can someonwe verify that for me. A mechanic said that it needed 90 psi on the fuel rail for a multiport system..is he blowing smoke up my a$$? Any suggestions about the stalling would be great. It has 143,000 miles and has ran great up to this point. Thanks all!

Old 09-27-2010, 05:59 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

OMG, where do I begin...

First off, your fuel pressure is too high. If you have TBI the pressure should be 14-15 PSI with the regulator connected and 18-20 PSI with it disconnected. If you have MPFI the pressure should be 31-33 PSI with the regulator connected and 39-41 PSI with it disconnected. As far as which system you have, all you have to do is look and see if you have an injector in the intake manifold at each cylinder location. These van around the year of your's could have either system because that's when they switched from TBI to MPFI. Since the early 90s MPFI has been standard.

As to this "mechanic" that said 90 PSI on the fuel rail, well lets just say...um how can I put this gently...he's a friggin' moron!

Old 09-27-2010, 09:05 PM
wifesdaycarevan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Thank you Alloro. It has the multiport system according to your description. I bought a guage and checked the fuel pressure on the rail and it is a consistent 34-35psi. I need to check it with the regulator unplugged to verify and more issues with that. Would a bad EGR valve cause this stalling, dying issue? Futhermore, I have drove the van extensively the last couple days and cant get it to stall. I have mashed it and pulled over quickly and took off again and it seems to be running just fine..but occasionally it will stall and die unpredictabley or unexpectedly.

The key dance...can I do this on this vehicle and how it is performed? what do I need to read the codes w/o a OBD?

Thanks

Old 09-27-2010, 09:21 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Key Dance: Quickly turn the key on-off-on-off-on and then watch for and count the CEL flashes, while noting any pauses. For example a code 23 will be "flash-flash"-pause-"flash-flash-flash". A code 55 means the end of the list.

Yes a bad EGR valve can cause stalling, as can many other things. Old and worn spark plugs, old plug wires, worn cap/rotor, weak fuel pump, bad idle motor (or IAC valve), bad gas, just to name a few.

Quick Reply: 1992 Dodge B350 5.2L