Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

92 B350 5.2L Stalls

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 10:04 PM
wifesdaycarevan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 92 B350 5.2L Stalls

Hi there,

We have a 92 B350 with the 5.2L at I am expirencing stalls when I let off the gas pedal at low speeds or turn a corner at low speeds. It sounds like it floods out. I have changed the plugs, wires, rotor and cap, and PCV valve, new air filter, and fresh oil change at it is still doing it. I saw on this site that it was recommended to clean the IAC. What is the IAC, how do I find it and clean it? thanks for any advice. This is my wife's van for kid transport. Van runs really good with no other problems than this. Any ideas??

Old 11-30-2010, 01:00 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

I don't think you have an IAC in your 92. Instead you have an Idle Speed Motor attached to the side of the throttle body. This ISM regulates idle and if it's not working then the idle can drop low enough to stall the engine.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:36 AM
wifesdaycarevan

Originally Posted by alloro
I don't think you have an IAC in your 92. Instead you have an Idle Speed Motor attached to the side of the throttle body. This ISM regulates idle and if it's not working then the idle can drop low enough to stall the engine.
Thanks alloro,

Is the ISM cleanable too or do I buy a new one to install? How about an ASD causing this issue. Van has always ran perfect up till now.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:21 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

No the ISM is not cleanable. Watch it when the engine is started, idled, reved, and then shutdown to see if there is any movement. If there is not then you'll have to replace it.

I don't think it's the ASD relay because the problem only happens when the engine is dropping to low RPMs. If it were the ASD then the engine could cutout at any time, such as, accelerating, cruising, etc. and that's not happening.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:45 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if a '92 has one still, but when My EGR valve was sticking open, it would cause my Van to stall when approaching a stop.
Rock Auto lists an EGR for a '92
here is what it looks like.

You can observe the shaft/pintle moving up and down with a slight delay with the throttle with a flashlight and a mirror

Old 11-30-2010, 02:01 PM
wifesdaycarevan

Turns out that my 92 has an IAC and I decided to go ahead and replace it. $32.99 at Schucks. The old one had lots of carbon build up on it. We are going to drive it a few days and see if the problem is fixed. If not, I guess I will try the EGR next???

Quick Reply: 92 B350 5.2L Stalls