Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1983 360 engine swap to 2002 5.9L Magnum

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 11:47 PM
83VanDude
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1983 360 engine swap to 2002 5.9L Magnum

I have a 1983 Ram 350 van with a 360 engine that is smoking due to a bad exhaust valve. I found a 5.9L Magnum engine from a 2002 Dakota that I am considering trying to use as a replacement for the original engine. I would like to use the fuel injection system from the new engine. From what I understand, this engine should fit the original motor mounts and 727 transmission. I believe I will need at least the following:
ECU
Wiring harness
Fuel pump
Electric Fan
Exhaust system (are catalytics required for back pressure?)
Air cleaner

Is there anything else to consider?

What ECUs would be compatible with this engine and will they work properly with the older non-electronic transmission?

Will the original temperature and oil pressure sensors work properly?

Will the original power steering pump and alternator work with this engine? (I do not plan to use the air conditioner compressor or smog pump)

I have heard there is an engine balancing issue to deal with to use the old transmission. It sounds like the flex plate on the 2002 engine is balanced and one of the bolt holes has to be rounded out to fit the old torque converter bolt pattern. Is this correct?

I would really appreciate any help anyone can provide with this.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:44 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will need to grab the pre-O2 and aft-O2 sensors from the donner vehicle or just buy two new ones. DO NOT buy the Bosch. They are not the correct types for the sensor range.

If you can pull the instrument gauge cluster, the computer will be happy since it interfaces the BCM on the cluster. Plus, the cluster will report back the OBDII engine codes in the odometer display when doing the key 3X trick.

The bigger question is the fuse panel.

That 5.9L/360cid Magnum engine has a great deal more power than the pre-Magnum 360. Why, the Magnum 5.2L/318cid has more power than the pre-Magnum 360.

If you are keeping the same rear axle gears, it is unknown how your mileage will be. i would assume better.

Quick Reply: 1983 360 engine swap to 2002 5.9L Magnum