Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Random Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Neutralvan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well its been a while now and went on a trip did about 600 miles and no stalls at all. Then we went out on a long hall trip and about at 800 miles (about 1/3rd into trip) and it started again with the stalling that was the worst 1500 miles I have ever drove. I have done so many things to this van I'm a bit confused now why it is stalling. Any ideas on what to do next? a friend keeps saying cam and crank sensors, I'm not sure that is the problem.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Neutralvan

Let me do a recap of what I have done…
The problems I am having with it is It stalls out mostly on the highway at speeds over 55mph but can also stall at speeds as slow as 5mph, its totally random. When it stalls its like it looses electrical power, no hesitation, no sputter, just dies. I loose my power to all dash gauges and the check engine light does not come on, I do one of 2 things after it dies, pull over and put it in park or at highway speeds put it in neutral turn off the ignition and wait no more then 10 seconds and it starts right back up, it starts both ways. It can stall in 2 feet or 150miles

Fuel pressure test and it was a solid 42psi
New ASD relay
Checked all my grounds
Cleaned the TPS
Changed fuel filter
Replaced the O2 sensor (had a 21 code and got new one to clear the code)
Replaced thermostat (just needed it, it cleared the 17 code on check engine tests)

Old 07-13-2011, 06:57 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Neutralvan
I loose my power to all dash gauges and the check engine light does not come on

turn off the ignition and wait no more then 10 seconds and it starts right back up,
Have you tested the ignition switch?

Old 07-14-2011, 06:38 PM
Neutralvan

I have replaced the switch, i forgot to put that in the list of things i have done.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:39 PM
sparkzz
Veteran

I dunno, but just to the right of the brake booster in the firewall is a big rectangular connector that has a jillion wires going to it. Maybe if you can get that off and clean the contacts and reseat the connector, it won't hurt anything.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:41 AM
wpatters129
Amateur

Originally Posted by Neutralvan
I have replaced the switch, i forgot to put that in the list of things i have done.
Did the problem still continue? I thought after a total tuneup mine had left but all of a sudden it started up again...the surging from almost stalling to fast like someone is stepping on the gas. Could this be water in the gas or something else? It seems to run fine when warm. I took it out yesterday afternoon and floored it to maybe just blow out the engine since the wife just putts around town. This morning it was doing the same thing....fast, slow running rough etc.. Oxygen sensor maybe? Bad Gas? Should I add a bottle of alcohol to the gas to clear the water if some got in there?

Old 03-23-2012, 12:07 AM
wpatters129
Amateur

Think I might have found the problem...TPS Throttle Pos Sensor seems to be the bad guy....took it off and worked the pot and then put it back and it is running fine now. Got a new on on order.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:32 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by wpatters129
took it off and worked the pot and then put it back and it is running fine now.
It could've just been a bad connection at the plug.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:40 PM
wpatters129
Amateur

I thought of that too but with a new sensor I have a better chance of it getting fixed since this rig has 150,000 miles. It would seem like the sensor could be worn since it is just a pot and has mechanical pieces that do wear out.

Quick Reply: Random Stalling