Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1994 Dodge Ramwagon-3500-Trans Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 12:59 AM
annielulu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Dodge Ramwagon-3500-Trans Problem

Was driving along fine. Then the check engine light came on. Almost immediately after that the van would not go faster than 20mph or so in drive no matter how much gas I gave it. the engine just over revved. I can put the trans in drive 1 and 2 and it will go forward. If I then put it into regular drive it just exhibits the above mentioned problem. It goes into reverse just fine-and then back into drive just fine. the fluid is bright red. I have asked around to see if it can be repaired. Does anyone know what may be wrong. I got the van to work a painting business. It was fine for that purpose. I took out all but 1 seat and it holds a lot of tools. I need to get it going. Help please.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:21 AM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the key dance and post the code(s) here for they will help us determine what has happened. Key-on-off-on-off-on then count the flashes. Type in the search box on this forum "key dance" for more information.

Sounds like the transmission may have blown the OD unit, at the moment this is a guess.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:43 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

It sounds like the direct drive clutch broke. If so it's a mechanical issue that requires disassembly to fix it.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:41 PM
annielulu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked the codes with the key dance. Two came up: #12 and #41. I checked the fluid while hot and trans in neutral. It was OK, bright red, and no varnish smell. I also checked all of the fuses by the glove box-they were all OK.

Proceeded to take off in the DRIVE position. I could make it upshift by taking my foot off the gas as the engine started to over rev. When I did that it would shift up. I have that little OD button on the dash that lights up when you push it in. The performance was no different regardless whether the button was on or off.

I checked whatever vacuum lines that go to the trans. They were all fastened.

I also checked whatever electrical connections that I could see that go to the trans. they all seemed connected properly. The speedometer was working properly, but I could only get it to go up to 25-30 mph.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Code 41: Generator Field Not Switching Properly. An open or shorted condition detected in the generator field control circuit.

Take a volt meter and test your battery voltage before start up and then after start up. If no change then either the alternator is bad or wiring going from it to the ECM or the ECM itself.

Some vehicles will not shift properly if the battery voltage is to low. Don't know if this is your problem or not. If not then Alloro may be correct regarding the Direct Drive Clutch being bad.

Quick Reply: 1994 Dodge Ramwagon-3500-Trans Problem