Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Side sliding door leaks

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 06:06 PM
zawalis
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Side sliding door leaks

The seal LOOKS fine and I can't see daylight, but I have a pretty serious water leak on this door. It drips down from the top into the black plastic step and some splashes onto the carpeting.

Seal = $199, stealership installation $100.

Any other ideas?

Steven

P.S. I did read the manual and I do now know how to properly close the door gently and then use the handle / lever to cam it closed. What was with THAT design? ;-)

1995 B1500 SLT Dodge Ram Van
Complete restore spring 2011

Old 05-21-2011, 10:39 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried putting a strip of home foam weather seal across the top on the body of the van and not the door. This way, the door seal will seal against it.

How does the roof rail gutter look above it??? That could be the leak!

Old 05-21-2011, 10:53 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by zawalis
Any other ideas?
Lay some newspaper across the weatherstripping and close the door. Now slide the newspaper around to get a feel for any spots where it feels more loose than others. The more freely the newspaper slides, the greater the chance that's where the leak is.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:02 PM
zawalis
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the ideas guys. I found two different problems. First, the gasket around the edge of the window was installed incorrectly. The point where the two ends meet was at the top of the window...this was creating the leak. The manual shows this junction should have been at the bottom. Amazing. A new one was $160 or so and $100 for the dealer to heat form and install it.

The second problem was that the large gasket around the slider door was torn in two places and degraded in all. New gasket $200 and $200 to install as someone buggered up a replacement job earlier.

In the end, I'm out $660, but the van is bone dry and smells good. Also, since I took it in the as$ from my dealer, I now have a place to go if water drop #1 comes in again...and I will go back.

Normally, I do everything myself, but I wanted the option to bitch and get it fixed right.

Van dry = Steve happy.

Quick Reply: Side sliding door leaks