Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Locknut torque transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 06:19 PM
jimemeone
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locknut torque transmission

Going to do my first transmission band adjustment following some of the posts on this forum and I have a couple questions. It's a 2001 1500 van with the 46RE tranny. I have the torque wrench but how do you torque a 3/4 nut while holding the adjustment screw so that it does not move? Also one adjustment is to back off 2 7/8 turns. Any tips on hitting that 7/8's. If there is anything else I should look to do with the pan down( I am installing a drain plug to make future fluid replacement a lot easier/got that from this forum)please let me know.
Thanks/Jim

Old 06-26-2011, 12:20 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Snug the locknut with a wrench while holding the center bolt, mark the position of the center bolt, then check the locknut with a torque wrench. After you torque the locknut, check your center bolt marks to make sure they didn't move. If they did, loosen the locknut, realign the center bolt to the marks, and try it all again.

For the 2-7/8 just use your judgment, it's not really that critical to be perfectly exact. They just want you in the ballpark.

Quick Reply: Locknut torque transmission