Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

3.9 magnum no spark ran yesterday though...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 09:47 AM
darksidegsx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 3.9 magnum no spark ran yesterday though...

From what I have read researching this. Lots of people have no start issues. Dakota owners seem to have a spliced wire issue from the ASD connection. I don't know if this applies here or not though. I really need help ASAP!

I bought a 2001 Dodge Ram (2500 w/ v6 3.9 magnum) or 1500 w/2500 suspension.... either way it has a 3.9 magnum v6.

I was looking at it yesterday it ran, the belt was smoking. I assumed it was a seized pulley or something simple, so I bought it for a great price since the owner needed it off his lot due to paving tomorrow early AM.

I went back to drive it out last night and the thing WILL NOT START!
I have horrible luck with everything so I assume it's something stupid.
I have checked all fuses none are blown.
I have sprayed starting fluid with no start, which is how I deduced there is no spark.

I do not have a multimeter and really am not that good with electronics. Thus, I'm banking on this being a poor connection, or a fuse I may have missed, or something simple.

I am not familiar with dodge, v engines, or cars with distributors.
- Before I start blowing money. Are there any free things I can clean or check on these to get it started? It does have a brand new battery (is it possible it doesn't have enough juice to crank it over? But enough to crank it?) It only has to make it 2 miles once running. If I can't get it started today I have to pay 150 to have the thing towed....a whole 2 miles... which is ridiculous.

Also since it's a van I guess I have to take that hump thing off inside since I can reach practically nothing from the hood.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really have limited knowledge of these vehicles and am hoping one of you guys can give me some insight on the specific possibilities of this engine.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:02 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Where did you check for spark, at the wire coming off the coil or at the spark plugs?

Old 10-20-2011, 01:13 PM
darksidegsx

I didn't actually check, but I will check coming off the coil. I figured it wasn't getting spark since I shot starting fluid in and it didn't fire.

I also checked for engine codes and none came up.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:34 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

If you get a strong blue spark off the coil (orange is weak), the the problem is with the distributor cap. But if you have no spark, or orange spark off the coil then the coil is shot.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:53 PM
darksidegsx

I appreciate that tip. That seems like I could apply that to other spark testing situations as well.

I have this horrible luck. Cars are fine until I put my name on the title, and my curse is also then applied.

This happened with the station wagon Mercedes I bought. It ran and drove fine, I parked it at the garage, swapped the title, went to the garage to pull in and change fluids. NO START. Couldn't get anything to work (nervous since it has high voltage death warnings everywhere under the hood), an hour later my buddy from the dealership comes up he tries it this time, fired right up. After that I never had an issue with that car.

I love it. I'm going to head back over there and see if it's the coil or distributor.

Again, I really appreciate that tip. It has already been stored in the memory bank for long time usage.

Quick Reply: 3.9 magnum no spark ran yesterday though...