Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

New Brakes, Clunking Noise in Reverse When Braking

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 10:53 PM
lanesharon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Brakes, Clunking Noise in Reverse When Braking

I recently paid to have new rotors, drums, pads, and shoes installed on my truck (to the tune of $1200). After this was done, I started having a clunking noise at the bottom of the van. Hard to tell exactly where it is coming from because I am driving it, alone.

It started out only showing up when I turned the wheel hard all the way to the right. Now, it is happening when I am in reverse and depress the brakes. Seems to be coming from the passenger side wheel.

The same shop that installed it is swearing that there is nothing wrong with the brakes, although one of their mechanics admitted to me today that one of the calipers was loose.

Now, they are telling me it is most likely suspension parts. This noise was NOT there before the new brakes were installed and I am afraid that I am being 'taken for a ride'.

Would like to hear anyone's input on this.

BTW, the first thing that happened after the complete brake job was that the back brakes had a low pitched noise. They had to turn down the drums, explaining that they were not true. That amazed me, being brand new. A little bit of that noise is still there, but did improve.

Last edited by lanesharon; 11-04-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:26 AM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can put new rotors or drums on a lathe and see they were not true fresh out of the box. Most rotors are Chinese made these days. A mechanic friend of mine will not install new rotors or drums without first turning them on the lathe. He says 85% of them are untrue and at least half of those he would have to redo for free due to the pedal pulsing.

The Calipers can be slightly loose where they reside and just rattle a little bit, or be a lot loose and clunk when the brake is first applied in a different direction.

I will guess the strut rod bushings are worn out. These get worn out from the inside out and will look just fine from the exterior. They are inexpensive and easy to replace.

Another possibility is a loose bolt which holds the upper control arm pivot bar. This is the primary adjustment when an alignment is done, and I have had one shop not retighten it enough and it started a horrible clunk when turning the wheel and braking in reverse and also threw out my alignment.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:17 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch! $1,200 for a complete all around brake job. For that price, hopefully you got more than just new pads. Rear drums, front discs, shoes, calipers, rear cylinders repack the bearings and alignment may put you in that price range.

I would agree that new parts are not true round. Had a new pair of drums from NAPA on the B1500 SWB out of round and the rear drums just kept heating up and smoking. Checked and double checked my work, kept scratching my head. Got the drums off, noticed that the pads wore in two places on the drums. Got them both turned and the problem went away. Had to get new shoes after the drums were trued.

Still remember the day where I pulled off the road and tossed my ice tea on the tire rim. The tea evaporated instantly. LOL

Old 11-06-2011, 04:51 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by lanesharon
Would like to hear anyone's input on this.
IMO, bring it to a different shop and get another opinion.

Quick Reply: New Brakes, Clunking Noise in Reverse When Braking