Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

changing fuel sender

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 12:28 PM
jimbo74
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing fuel sender

i have a 96 dodge 2500 glaval primetime conversion van with a 3.9l v6, currently has liek 187,xxx miles on it

been having issues lately with it running like garbage @ 1/2 talk or less..... i want this fixed....

and from reading the forum here, it looks liek it is the sending unit/fuel filter/pump that is doing it....

what do i need to do the job? i know i need to drop the tank, and be careful removing lines as they are old......

should i also clean the tank when i remove it? with what?

what brand is the best? i have seen soem replacements really cheap, to really expensive

i only have a day to knock this out, so i want to get it all done in 1 day......

i am a newbie to the van, but i am no stranger to auto mechanics

Old 11-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think OEM Carter replacement pumps are best. Inspect metal straps that hold tank up prior to beginning work, they may be rusted and need replacement. Sometimes the nuts on the threaded rods used to tighten the fuel tank straps can shear off due to being rusted fast, check condition before beginning work and hit them with some rust buster to help with nut removal.

Also inspect the rubber grommet that seals fuel filler pipe at side of fuel tank. It may be rotted, torn or otherwise damaged and need replacement.

Sometimes the 3/4" (I think it's 3/4", could be 5/8") vent hose that runs between the filler thru the chassis rail to the top of the tank is damaged due to years of flying debris from the left rear wheel. Check that out before starting and have a replacement piece handy if needed.

The inside of the tank should not require cleaning unless you know of some specific reason dirt and debris may be in there.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:18 PM
jimbo74
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you, i will definitely look into those pieces

i want to clean the tank, i don't know there is dirt, but.... with it acting up at 1/2 tank every time, and with 187k on it, i figure do it right once, and forget about it......

Quick Reply: changing fuel sender