Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Engine Belt Squealing ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 07:29 AM
Dennisa.taylor
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ordered Gatorback from Amazon with free shipping. Cheaper than Rock Auto.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:37 PM
funair02
All Star

belt squeak --

Well I have an interesting story...

So I thought my tensioner was bad - so I replaced it because I heard a squeak in the belt there...and it was vibrating like the spring was bad

Then I replaced the tensioner - it still squeaked.
Then I started to think, maybe the alternator bearing is going bad???

Used the stethoscope - couldn't really hear the bearing squeaking...

My belt always squeaked in the morning, and then would chirp most of the day.

Then I sat there one day and watch the belt going round and round...I realized that the tensioner was moving - and it wasn't the spring -- it was the mount for the tensioner. It looked JUST like the tensioner spring moving -- but it wasn't.
So I took a chance and ordered from a junkyard a new tensioner mounting bracket...
On the back of the tensioner is a tab that goes into a hole on the mounting bracket. I took off my old one and tried to measure that hole compared to the junkyard part. The hole was maybe 1/2 of a millimeter bigger on my existing mount. I though, can this be enough to make the belt squeak? I also did have a vibration that seemed like my IAC was just a tiny bit clogged...but wasn't thinking about that issue at the time...

I installed the junkyard tensioner mount and then the tensioner. Turned the van on and viola! No belt squeak...also no engine vibration...also no more unusual engine noise...wow my engine is now running as smooth as any new 6 or 8 cylinder motor...

Just a story and maybe some info you can use in the future

Last edited by funair02; 10-21-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:57 AM
fifayou

No belt squeak

__
fifa 15 coins

Quick Reply: Engine Belt Squealing ...