Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Can't shift out of park

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 01:38 PM
wheels316
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't shift out of park

Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with their shifter getting stuck. I own a 2001 1500 ram van with the 5.2. I'm a wheelchair user but i do not drive the van...i have someone else drive the van for me. My van was working just fine until i got home yesterday. My driveway has a slight incline and after parking the van, we can't seem to shift it back out of park. We tried everything! We applied the brake and tried shifting the lever down from park but it would not budge. We shook, shifted and tilted the steering column but it wont shift down. I know alot of older vehicles have this problem when the driveway has an incline. We even tried pushing the van up slightly with a truck to see if that would help but nothing. Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be? Any help would be great.

Thanks, Chris

Old 12-06-2011, 08:43 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

Are your brake lights working? If not check for a blown fuse.

Turn the key to on but don't start it. Then see if you can shift out of park.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:13 PM
wheels316

Brake lights seem to be working. I'll have to check if its a different fuse. Is there a separate fuse for the brake/transmission shift interlock?

Old 12-08-2011, 06:17 PM
riverlocks

had the same problem with mine last year. the repair shop was able to repair the shifting mechanism. Think the dealer wanted over $200 for a new part.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:07 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a Dodge Recall on the Ram Van for 2001 for not shifting out of park. The BTSI solenoid (blocker assembly) has malfunctioned.

It's covered under this at a no-cost to the owner ... Just call the number below at Chrysler to get a code number and visit your dealer next.

http://www.dealerrater.com/recalls/Dodge/RAM-VAN

2001 Dodge RAM-VAN Recall
Item Affected: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION: LEVER AND LINKAGE: COLUMN SHIFT
Date Announced: 12/11/2007

Description of Recall:
ON CERTAIN VAN AND PICKUP TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS, THE IGNITION/PARK SHIFT INTERLOCK SYSTEM MAY BECOME INOPERATIVE. THIS CAN ALLOW THE SHIFTER TO BE MOVED OUT OF THE "PARK" POSITION WITH THE IGNITION KEY REMOVED (OR IN THE "LOCK" POSITION). THIS CAN ALSO ALLOW THE IGNITION KEY TO BE REMOVED WHEN THE SHIFTER HAS NOT BEEN PLACED IN THE "PARK" POSITION.

Action Needed To Fix It:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE GEARSHIFT BLOCKER AND BRACKET ASSEMBLY FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JANUARY 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Find your local Dodge Dealer.

Hope this helps !

Last edited by stev; 12-10-2011 at 02:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Can't shift out of park