Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

groaning sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 06:07 PM
RomanWheels
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default groaning sound

Just picked up and drove home today a 01 Ram 1500 van 3.9 3 spd auto trans 79k 2nd owner last 9 yrs van. It has a Low top Chariot conversion and its pretty clean. Main thing bugging me is this slight groan/minor vibration that starts around 15mph and goes away just after the 40mph mark. Its there accelerating as well as slowing down and also maintaining speed in that range. If I neutral out and coast its still there. Increase the motor rpm's it does not affect it. One thing is that it pulls to the right a bit and the outside tread on the right tire is worn down. Seller said it needs an alignment. Rest of tires in nice shape. I'm hoping to leave for a road trip South with it at the end of the week after doing a check over and maintainance service. Any ideas on what might be the cause?
BTW- The trip home today was about 50 -65 miles and I had it up to 65mph.
Thanks in advance
Matt

Old 02-04-2012, 06:15 PM
ComicDom1
Professional

Is the groan more toward the front or rear of the van?

Is there any clunking when you put the Van in gear?

A couple of things I would do prior to taking a long trip would be to check all the wheel bearings.

Your tire wear should be addressed by an alignment so you were given the right direction. Before they do an alignment see if you can get the idler arms, drag link, and tie rod ends checked for excessive wear.

Also remember to have the caster and camber set when getting the alignment. There are two bolts on each side that are loosened to do this.

Jason

Old 02-04-2012, 07:09 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When going for the alignment, make sure the place has the updated manual TSB numbers. Dodge changed them for the Ram Van around 99 or 00.

If the alignment works great, if not, then change the two front brake hose lines if the van pulls to one side while braking.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:52 PM
RomanWheels

Originally Posted by ComicDom1
Is the groan more toward the front or rear of the van?

Is there any clunking when you put the Van in gear?

A couple of things I would do prior to taking a long trip would be to check all the wheel bearings.

Your tire wear should be addressed by an alignment so you were given the right direction. Before they do an alignment see if you can get the idler arms, drag link, and tie rod ends checked for excessive wear.

Also remember to have the caster and camber set when getting the alignment. There are two bolts on each side that are loosened to do this.

Jason
I'm thinkin towards the right side possibly right front, kinda hard to really pinpoint.
No clunking of any kind in reverse. I'll double check in the am
He said he did the brakes but just the pads, no rotors or calipers.
While driving it home, it did not pull when hitting the brakes, just kinda drifted towards the right when you let go of the wheel. Felt pretty tight driving with no rattles going over bumps.
I'm going to do a check on it tomorrow before I bring it in to a shop. I try and do most of my own wrenching when time allows.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:55 PM
RomanWheels

Originally Posted by stev
When going for the alignment, make sure the place has the updated manual TSB numbers. Dodge changed them for the Ram Van around 99 or 00.

If the alignment works great, if not, then change the two front brake hose lines if the van pulls to one side while braking.
Thanks for the heads up. What does TSB stand for?
No pulling when hitting the brakes. Stops straight.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:50 PM
ComicDom1
Professional

TSB stands for Technical Service Bulletin.

They are updates on services or procedures that should be followed related to a particular vehicle.

Jason

Old 02-05-2012, 07:25 AM
PhilsHandyService
Default High pitched whistle

1999 Ram Van MAG V-6
I hear a short high pitched whistle intermittent at idol any ideas

Quick Reply: groaning sound