Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Help me diagnose this please

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 09:28 PM
Sean.M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me diagnose this please

I have a 2001 Ram Van cargo with a 3.9 v6 in it.

I just recently picked up the van and this is the first Dodge that I have ever owned. I have read many threads here trying to see if I could easily diagnose the problem but I have read so many things I am just unsure.

Van fires up every time. No unusual oil consumption.

When driving recently after stopping to go in the store or something when I drive again the van loses driving power after I begin to pick up speed, you can put the peddle to floor and there is what sounds to me to be a loud knocking noise sounding like it is coming from the passenger front area. The first time this happened I thought I was running out of gas but knew I just put fuel in the tank. The gas gauge is not working either. Anyways so I essentially coasted while it worked itself out over about 1000 feet. This has happened to me about every time I am driving lately. What I have been doing is pulling off and turning the ignition off and waiting a few seconds and then it starts right up and drives normally.

The van never dies it just is unable to accelerate and if you floor it the loud knocking is unsettling. I have kept the van coasting until it corrected itself but it seems to be easier and less hard on the vehicle to just turn it off for a moment.

As I said I have read many threads on this forum trying to diagnose my problem but as my problem seems different than the threads I read I figured I should register and see what a professional can tell me about my problem.

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:23 PM
ComicDom1
Professional

Just curious, how long have you had the van, and have you run a full take of fuel through it yet?

Jason

Old 03-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Sean.M

Originally Posted by ComicDom1
Just curious, how long have you had the van, and have you run a full take of fuel through it yet?

Jason
I just recently wrecked my previous work van and picked this one up. Drove fine at first (other than I suspect the wheel bearings are due to be redone before long) and then started doing this. I have had the van less than a week and work is just beginning to pick back up so I have only drove the van 100-150 miles I have not ran a full tank of fuel through it and I think it may have been sitting for awhile before I started driving it but am not sure how long.

Do you think it is something as simple as filters?

Old 03-12-2012, 10:51 PM
ComicDom1
Professional

If the van has sat for awhile, and you are getting bad knocking and a loss of power when you attempt to accelerate, its possible the fuel might have lost its octane. Its also possible that the previous owner used the cheapest gas he could find and there is water in it. You do need to rule this out.

It depends on how long it sat and how old the fuel is that is in the tank. I would suggest you drain the gas tank first, put enough fresh fuel in it to get to the gas station and then run at least a couple of tanks of premium fuel through it.

The fuel pump is mounted in the gas tank. You have to drop the tank to get to it to clean the screen.

Hope this helps,

Jason

Old 03-13-2012, 09:17 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

Does if feel like the brake could possibly be locked up and placing a drag on the engine?

Old 03-14-2012, 01:44 PM
gazza101
Rookie

This is a gas issue, Use higher Octane rating, should temporary help you out. could also be fuel pump or injectors as well, throw in a bottle of STP (grey bottle that cleans everything out).

What is your location and you may like to find a new gas station

Old 03-15-2012, 02:53 AM
Sean.M

Originally Posted by ComicDom1
If the van has sat for awhile, and you are getting bad knocking and a loss of power when you attempt to accelerate, its possible the fuel might have lost its octane. Its also possible that the previous owner used the cheapest gas he could find and there is water in it. You do need to rule this out.

It depends on how long it sat and how old the fuel is that is in the tank. I would suggest you drain the gas tank first, put enough fresh fuel in it to get to the gas station and then run at least a couple of tanks of premium fuel through it.

The fuel pump is mounted in the gas tank. You have to drop the tank to get to it to clean the screen.

Hope this helps,

Jason
Thanks Jason.

Originally Posted by alloro
Does if feel like the brake could possibly be locked up and placing a drag on the engine?
No drag from the breaks.

Originally Posted by gazza101
This is a gas issue, Use higher Octane rating, should temporary help you out. could also be fuel pump or injectors as well, throw in a bottle of STP (grey bottle that cleans everything out).

What is your location and you may like to find a new gas station
I think you guys are right about the fuel issue.

I put gas in it yesterday and have not had the problem occur yet. I will pick up some additive also. I was worried that it was a motor issue but the way
I could turn the engine off and 5 seconds later it worked properly left me guessing.

Quick Reply: Help me diagnose this please